Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

09 High in the Seat Q & A

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  War Machine 
#1 ·
I have been riding my new 09 cbr1000 for a couple weeks now and have noticed that the seat sits rather high, a lot higher than on my 07 cbr600 which fits me perfect.

Finding it uncomfortable around the inner thigh area. If I could get the seat at the same height as the 600 it would feel perfect. Wondering if and how it could be lowered without lowering links. Maybe suspension? The bike is currently at all stock settings.

I am 5' 10" and weigh 130 lbs. May think about going to a honda dealer and having the bike setup to fit me. But if I can do it myself at home, all the better.

Just wanted to ask before I go changing setting.

#3 ·
you might want to purchase an Energy Seat....wont be lower but way more comfortable.....and if you have short legs, get some adjustable rearsets that allow you to raise the footpegs from the OEM position....other than that, there is nothing the dealer can do for you.

#4 ·
really? I'm 5'5" and a gal, no issues here. doesn't seem high to me one bit. you could shave the OEM seat on the sides.

I think you'll get used to it, being 5'10" you shouldn't have to lower the bike whether it be a lowering link or suspension changes.

#5 ·
Just wanted the 1000 to be as comfortable as the 600. The 600 sits low and fits me perfect. I can't completely flat foot the 1000, which seems rather high to me being 5'10". There's NO way, on my bike that is, anyone 5'5" could be comfortable, arkward to say the least, they'd be leaned over at an angle with only one foot down.

I do have vortex rearsets, I did lower them some from what the stock height was.

It will be interesting to compare the seat heights this weekend and see what the actual height difference is. I'll post the results ..........

#6 ·
my '11 1krr feels like it sits a little lower than my zx6r.

I am comfortable. I can tippy toe, barely on both feet. I am more comfortable with a half foot down on one side... can't flat foot with the bike totally upright, not even close, but it doesn't bother me.

The 1krr tank is a little narrower than my 09 zx6r. I actually prefer the riding position (OEM rearsets) on the 1krr than the zx6r (have sato rearsets on the zx6r).

at speed over 45 mph, I lay on the tank. it's much more comfortable for me, than the 'upright' position. On both bikes I feel like the ergonomics were made for me, from the factory. I can't understand how ppl 6 ft and taller would be comfortable on either bike.

I guess comfort is relative.

#8 ·
its not the seat height thats messing with you, its the seat width.
by being slightly wider, its making your legs go around it further, and so the bike feels higher.

If you're feeling adventurous, take your stock seat off, pull out the staples and the cover slips off.. you can then cut down the bare foam to make it narrower.... then slip the cover back on and restaple.

if its your first time doing it, expect it to take some time.. you might want to buy a used seat from someone to play with.

or you can just not worry about how the bike feels when you're stopped and concentrate on making it work better when you're actually riding it.

#9 ·
Thanks for offering a suggestion I didn't think of, this is why I ask. I have the ride part down.

One of my friends that I raraely see, I saw today. He builds custom bikes and knows more than anyone I've ever talked to about bikes. He says if I drop the rear 2" with a bone that it will have the same feel as the 600 as far as stance goes.

I am going to weigh his idea with some thought. I'm going to compare my 2 bikes this weekend in the seat form and height category.

#10 ·
if you drop the rear 2" on a 08+ CBR1000 you increase the rake dramatically and the bike feels HEAVY into turns. sure you could get used to it, just like you can get used to a bicycle with the handlebars slightly crooked... but if you ever ride two CBRs back to back like that, you can see its a huge diff..

#11 ·
I found an adjustable lowering link that after installed can be set anywhere from stock to -4". So I am considering this mod and if I don't like the feel of being lower I can always revert it back up to stock.

It's a thought ............

But I do understand what you are saying and appreciate your input, thanks.

#13 ·
Like Dude said, the bike will handle like a truck if you drop the rear "2. If it bothers you that much either try to narrow the seat or maybe consider another 600rr. I just don't get why it would be uncomfortable for someone that's 5'10". Not trying to rag on you but its a small bike as far as 1000s go.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com App

#14 ·
Not trying to get ragged on ............ I only ask to get answers and ideas to either solve problems or make things better. I take all opinions and experiences into consideration.

That being said, if there is a way or a better way to make something work better than it currently does then all the better.

I will either change it or deal with it the way it is. But it will never keep me from thinking about the possibilities .........

I don't need another 600, it sits right there beside the 1000 on standby. I will take advice to heart from people who know more than I do. All riders are different but brothers to the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.