I dislike chunky tail fairings. I like that super slim look. I pulled the underseat exhaust out of the R1, designed and had a custom under body exhaust fabricated, and fiberglassed the tail fairing to get it as slim as possible. Fortunately, the CBR proved much easier to get to the point I want it. I liked the idea of Taylormade's CF undertail fairing, but I couldn't find much about it online. Nothing else out there was quite as minimal though, so I took a chance and ordered one.
It's VERY thin. And very light, even for a carbon fiber piece. It's just a single layer and you can see some light through the fabric, but it's perfectly passable for an undertail fairing.
It does fit exactly the way I want. I even like the bump for the subframe, it adds a little character.
There's less space inside the trunk area, but plenty for a Bazzaz Zfi and a Scorpio alarm. And maybe a few other goodies.
It comes with a running/brake LED taillight which I'll be replacing with something a little less obtrusive. I might use this one for a 3rd brake light on the Jeep. By the way, after removing that LED taillight from the TM undertail I am finally ready to concede that 3M double sided tape qualifies as a permanent mounting solution. Also, the TM fairing doesn't reuse the two screws at the rear of the tail fairing. It's plenty secure without them and I just found two rubber plugs to fill the open holes.
Stock plate bracket/fender/signals = 2 lb 8.3 oz
Stock taillight = 7.4 oz
Taylormade undertail fairing (with LED taillight) = 5.1 oz
Gas tank and airbox came out. The PAIR system had to go.
Driven block off plates went in.
I also made up a little bracket to hold the wire loom that was no longer attached to anything.
PAIR system = 12.8 oz
Block off plates = 4.3 oz
I also removed the servo motor and cable to the exhaust. Plugged the hole with a cut down bolt:
I was planning on getting a 'stock' dyno run before doing intake/exhaust/fuel mapping, which is why I went to the trouble to remove the flapper cable and plug the muffler. It may not go down that way though. We'll see.
Servo motor and cable = 10.6 oz
Servo Buddy = 0.7 oz
I'm out of pictures for now, but almost all my parts are in so they will come soon. I have the alarm and Bazzaz harnesses routed and tentatively installed. I will likely be doing some cutting and splicing to make everything actually fit instead of just sort of fitting. The headlights are opened and I'm working on the HIDs as well, but I'll get to that when I have some pictures.
I don't think this is going to be a wild and crazy build, but it will be neat, tasteful and functional. The bike is open so if anyone wants pictures or measurements or weights, I'm happy to help. Thanks for watching and thanks for all the help I've quietly scoured from this site till now.