icrashbikes build - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 71 Old 12-24-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
icrashbikes

icrashbikes build

So I picked up this 2012 1krr in November and put a couple hundred miles on it before the nasty weather set in. Now it's in my garage and I'm doing all the 'required' work over the winter so it will be ready in the spring. I'm trying to get all the stuff done that requires having the tank and airbox out because really, who wants to do that more than it really needs to be done. I've been weighing parts on my coffee scale as they go in or come out, so I will have a pretty solid list of the small stock parts weights and whatever stuff I'm replacing with or adding. You know what they say, if you want to save a pound, don't look for one place to save a pound. Look for 16 places to save an ounce.

Here's the bike the day I brought it home:

And in the garage with the R1:

The R1 will probably go in the spring, when people are looking to buy bikes. I just can't justify having two 1000s. Might replace it with a 600..

The parts have been rolling in for a while. This is my third bike over about 10 years so I have a pretty good idea of what I like. First to show up were CRG short carbon fiber levers, Motovation spools and sliders, Sato hooks and some LEDs.

I really like the standard CRG levers, but I decided to give the new hotness a try. There will be plenty of carbon fiber on the bike to match them.

The stock levers weigh 9.6 oz. I put the CRGs on before I started weighing things, but I'll get to them. They have to come off anyway, the Woodcraft clip ons just came in a few days ago.

Got spools and sliders from Motovation. I have their sliders on the R1 which uses a 3 bolt bracket to mount to the frame, and they are outstanding. See my username for details on how I know. The spools are on, but the sliders are waiting till the side fairings go back on so I can measure and drill for them properly.

Front reflectors came off, chopped up the stock brackets to keep the spacer for the bolt. Yes, I painted the bare edges before putting them back. Reflectors and unused brackets come in at 2.5 oz.

Some progress pics of disassembly:

Upper fairing and headlights are out for HIDs and some gauge work.

Intake tubes came out for the full flapper mod.

That last hose there came out and the fitting got capped. (Just above the head of that bolt)

Big thanks to JWRusk for some inspiration and instruction. I followed his lead and swapped out the LEDs in the gauge cluster with some polarized film.

You can see the new LEDs on the left and the stock on the right.

This was definitely outside of my comfort zone. You can see my less-than-perfect soldering but everything is well connected and functional. Seriously, if I can do this with a Radio Shack soldering iron, anyone can. The finished product was well worth the effort:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
icrashbikes

I dislike chunky tail fairings. I like that super slim look. I pulled the underseat exhaust out of the R1, designed and had a custom under body exhaust fabricated, and fiberglassed the tail fairing to get it as slim as possible. Fortunately, the CBR proved much easier to get to the point I want it. I liked the idea of Taylormade's CF undertail fairing, but I couldn't find much about it online. Nothing else out there was quite as minimal though, so I took a chance and ordered one.

It's VERY thin. And very light, even for a carbon fiber piece. It's just a single layer and you can see some light through the fabric, but it's perfectly passable for an undertail fairing.

It does fit exactly the way I want. I even like the bump for the subframe, it adds a little character.

There's less space inside the trunk area, but plenty for a Bazzaz Zfi and a Scorpio alarm. And maybe a few other goodies.

It comes with a running/brake LED taillight which I'll be replacing with something a little less obtrusive. I might use this one for a 3rd brake light on the Jeep. By the way, after removing that LED taillight from the TM undertail I am finally ready to concede that 3M double sided tape qualifies as a permanent mounting solution. Also, the TM fairing doesn't reuse the two screws at the rear of the tail fairing. It's plenty secure without them and I just found two rubber plugs to fill the open holes.

Stock plate bracket/fender/signals = 2 lb 8.3 oz
Stock taillight = 7.4 oz
Taylormade undertail fairing (with LED taillight) = 5.1 oz

Gas tank and airbox came out. The PAIR system had to go.

Driven block off plates went in.

I also made up a little bracket to hold the wire loom that was no longer attached to anything.

PAIR system = 12.8 oz
Block off plates = 4.3 oz

I also removed the servo motor and cable to the exhaust. Plugged the hole with a cut down bolt:

I was planning on getting a 'stock' dyno run before doing intake/exhaust/fuel mapping, which is why I went to the trouble to remove the flapper cable and plug the muffler. It may not go down that way though. We'll see.

Servo motor and cable = 10.6 oz
Servo Buddy = 0.7 oz

I'm out of pictures for now, but almost all my parts are in so they will come soon. I have the alarm and Bazzaz harnesses routed and tentatively installed. I will likely be doing some cutting and splicing to make everything actually fit instead of just sort of fitting. The headlights are opened and I'm working on the HIDs as well, but I'll get to that when I have some pictures.

I don't think this is going to be a wild and crazy build, but it will be neat, tasteful and functional. The bike is open so if anyone wants pictures or measurements or weights, I'm happy to help. Thanks for watching and thanks for all the help I've quietly scoured from this site till now.
post #3 of 71 Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM
redlinernyc

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Looks to be an awesome build you have in store.

How do you like the 1k compared to the r1? How many miles on the 1k?

Definitely do a stock dyno run. I did before my tune and I'm so glad I did it.

post #4 of 71 Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
icrashbikes

Thanks! I've only got about 200 miles on the CBR so it's still very new to me. Plus it's still in break-in so I haven't really gotten to know it that well. I did really like the feel of the Honda for those few miles, but I'm reserving judgement till it warms up.

The experience is probably also muddied because I've been on that mad max R1 for so long. Nothing is stock anymore, it's been down and repaired and modded so many times that I don't know if I'm comfortable saying it's comparable to a stock R1. I am hoping for a bit of a lighter feel from the 1k, and maybe a little more quickness with turn in and changing directions. I'm also looking forward to that additional ~20hp over the R1.

What I have noticed is that it feels much smaller than the R1. Going from the CBR to the R1 is the same sort of feel as going from an R1 to a busa. The R1 cockpit is just wider and the bike feels bigger. I did get a picture I found kind of interesting as I ran out of places to put the fairings as I pulled them..

That's the Honda's tail fairing sitting on the rear seat of the R1 pretty much lined up with the seat. You can see how much bigger the R1 fairing is, and that pretty much sums up the apparent size difference across the bikes. In reality I think they are very similar in size and weight, its just a feel thing you get from the body work.

I'll do my best to get a stock run in, I know it's the way to go.
post #5 of 71 Old 12-24-2014, 02:48 PM
*RJ*

Nice . Throw a 520 chain kit on and a Motion Pro throttle kit . 2 things i wish i had not waited so long to do . Ill be thinking of you Yankees working on your bikes through the winter as I ride down in sunny Florida.

post #6 of 71 Old 12-24-2014, 05:46 PM
capt.america
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrashbikes View Post
Thanks! I've only got about 200 miles on the CBR so it's still very new to me. Plus it's still in break-in so I haven't really gotten to know it that well. I did really like the feel of the Honda for those few miles, but I'm reserving judgement till it warms up.

The experience is probably also muddied because I've been on that mad max R1 for so long. Nothing is stock anymore, it's been down and repaired and modded so many times that I don't know if I'm comfortable saying it's comparable to a stock R1. I am hoping for a bit of a lighter feel from the 1k, and maybe a little more quickness with turn in and changing directions. I'm also looking forward to that additional ~20hp over the R1.

What I have noticed is that it feels much smaller than the R1. Going from the CBR to the R1 is the same sort of feel as going from an R1 to a busa. The R1 cockpit is just wider and the bike feels bigger. I did get a picture I found kind of interesting as I ran out of places to put the fairings as I pulled them..

That's the Honda's tail fairing sitting on the rear seat of the R1 pretty much lined up with the seat. You can see how much bigger the R1 fairing is, and that pretty much sums up the apparent size difference across the bikes. In reality I think they are very similar in size and weight, its just a feel thing you get from the body work.

I'll do my best to get a stock run in, I know it's the way to go.
Once you get to know it you'll realize how much like a 600 it handles. Aside from the HP gain the mid range power is insane. 50 - 150 time is among the fastest of bikes. You won't be disappointed. Be safe out there.

If you can't run with the big dogs,
stay on the f@ckin' porch.
post #7 of 71 Old 12-25-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
icrashbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.america View Post
Once you get to know it you'll realize how much like a 600 it handles. Aside from the HP gain the mid range power is insane. 50 - 150 time is among the fastest of bikes. You won't be disappointed. Be safe out there.
This is exactly why I bought the bike. Again, without having put any real miles on it, it feels very light and easy to flick around. I miss that about the R6. I also have a feeling that there's something of a monster rumbling around in there just waiting for me to get on the throttle. I'm really excited.

More to come over the weekend! Happy holidays to everyone
post #8 of 71 Old 12-26-2014, 07:57 AM
Isolation

Garage
that instrument cluster color change is bad ass!
post #9 of 71 Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Skeletor

Nice!

Monitoring
post #10 of 71 Old 12-30-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
icrashbikes

The holiday season has been a little more intense than I had planned, so not much new is done.

I did get the LED taillight swapped out for a Radiantz 30 LED unit.

I got the running/brake adapter with it and I picked up a strobe module (5 flashes then on solid) because I like that kind of thing. Here it is in place:

I haven't decided what to do with this gap yet, if anything. I may pull that foam out, I may try to stuff something in to clean it up, I might just leave it. You don't see it unless you get way up under there so at this point it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I like how there is no exposed tail light now. For those of you concerned with visibility, please hold your protests for just a moment.

I'm waiting for all the parts to do the wiring so it's nice and clean, but I tested the function to see how bright it is. Just about burned the retinas right out of my eyeballs. These are the 'Ampd Flex' which are brighter than Radiantz' standard LED strips, and it is no joke. The running light brightness is much more tolerable. The brake light could down airplanes if you pulled an endo at night.

Brake and strobe both work well so now it's down laying everything out correctly and making connections.

I also got the main harness for the HIDs into the bike, but I have some work to do to fit the projectors and get it wired cleanly. Generic kits come with so much extra wire it's absurd. The same is true for the alarm and Bazzaz, I'll be cutting a lot of it down to fit. My new years plans just got pushed to the weekend so hopefully with a few days off I'll make some good progress. Stay tuned..

Weights for those interested:

Taylormade undertail fairing with no tail light - 3.8 oz

Radiantz 30 LED Ampd Flex strip including running/brake splitter - 0.6 oz

LED tail light from TM undertail (for comparison) - 1.3 oz

The HID harness with ballasts, igniters and bulbs is just shy of 2 lbs. I'll get a final weight on this including the projectors when I know exactly what's going into the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page