Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

achieving 200 mph

11K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  BillErDale 
#1 ·
Hey guys next year I am gonna be on a quest to hit the 200 mark. I need some advice on what mods I am gonna need to get there..

I currently live near el mirage lake bed in California. We're this is gonna take place. I will be talking to don over at guhl motors for the ecu portion. Other mods that I will be doing is a 520 conversion +1 front stock rear 42. I might go lower to maybe 40. The bike is a bone stock 2014 cbr1000rr. . Thanks for any input..

#4 ·
That's what it appears to be, but in actuality, the rules say, the bike has to be stock appearing on the outside. There's no rules regarding what you can or cannot do with the internals. Let's face it, no stock or near stock cbr 1000rr is doing 200 mph at the salt flats either.

#6 ·
12. A. PRODUCTION (P)
Use the same engines (gasoline only) originally installed in the
specific motorcycle frame at the time of production and ensure it
meets the definition set in the ?P? frame class (See Chapter 4).
Original equipment (OEM) shall include cylinders, cases
(crankcases), heads, and carburation or throttle body (stock venture
size), kick-starter or electric starter. GASOLINE ONLY. Fuel not
permitted in this class. See Chapter 2, paragraph 2.F.

You're still allowed free reign on the camshafts, crankshaft, valves, etc that or the rule book is not specific enough. However, it's rather impossible for a stockish cbr 1000, to hit 200 mph without extensive modification. Just not possible.

#10 · (Edited)
weight

I guess I could lose another 5lbs. I am about 5'7 @170 lbs. I will take some stuff off the bike to reduce weight (mirrors, rear pegs,rear lights.run a gallon and a half) I am sure there's more that can be taken off. A cool part is el mirage lake bed is 6 miles long. So there's plenty of room .

#9 ·
cbr

Good read L8 breaker.. I am not saying it's a easy task to accomplish. But it's possible with some mods. I am not trying to replicate Leslie's Porterfield run. She weighs nothing.. I will weigh 190 with gear. I am trying to max the bike with minimal mods. That's why I am started this conversation. . To get feed back from people who have gone faster than 185. ..

#16 ·
wind

Your rite wind plays a big factor. We're gonna tape up anything that might cause wind drag. Just yesterday I decided to remove the rear pegs . All parts and bolts taken off will be weighed for an idea of how much weight has been taken off.. next month we will take the bikes out for a base run. To get starting numbers gps numbers not speedo numbers..

#20 ·
That bike was HEAVILY MODIFIED and had bodywork for aerodynamics that resembled an airplane. Today's bikes have ZERO aerodynamics and aren't geared to reach 200, so accomplishing that speed will take more than some primitive tinkering.

Here's that bikes info.

In 1962, he set a 883 cc (53.9 cubic inches) class record of 288 km/h (178.95 mph) with his engine bored out to 850 cc (52 cubic inches).

In 1966, he set a 1,000 cc (61 cubic inches) class record of 270.476 km/h (168.066 mph) with his engine punched out to 920 cc (56 cubic inches).

In 1967, his engine was bored out to 950 cc (58 cubic inches) and he set an under 1,000 cc (61 cubic inches) class record of 295.453 km/h (183.586 mph). To qualify he made a one-way run of 305.89 km/h (190.07 mph), the fastest-ever officially-recorded speed on an Indian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.