Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPR V4 stabilizer on 2014

7K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  nismos14 
#1 · (Edited)
Installed a GPR v4 stabilizer on my 2014 cbr 1000rr. Definitely a great upgrade! I did run into a lot of problems installing though, so I thought I would share in case anyone is looking for information about it. I bought the GPR used on craigslist, so I needed a few parts to have it fit one the cbr. I live in San Diego, So i was able to just drive to GPR and speak to them. You will need a base mount, post mount, resistor to plug into the HESD connector, and also a new arm to swap out the regular one that's on the GPR. If you're going this route, keep in mind it'll cost quite a bit, a little over $200 for everything, that's just the mounting hardware and resistor.

Anyways, I went on to install everything, removed the tank cover, took the HESD out, mounted the post mount bracket on, plugged in the resistor. Then, the steering stem nut. First off the steering stem nut is HUGE, its 41mm. So I had to go and buy a 41mm socket to remove it, BUT BEWARE, this did NOT work. you need a thin walled socket to put the steering stem nut back on over the base mount plate, and most sockets are way to big to fit in there. GPR makes a small socket that barely fits in the base mount plate and you're able to torque down the steering stem nut. That socket was about $20 and they sell it to you.

Overall, Pain in the ass going around grabbing things just to install this, luckily GPR has AWESOME customer service, and they help you with whatever you need. I hope this helps people who are looking to install used GPR's on their CBR's with the same year as mine.

Heres the finished product:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea it was a headache to install but I don't turn my settings past 4 if I'm going far and it's a straight long highway then I might go as high as 6... I live in NYC aka pothole central if that helps. But it is definitely better than stock

#4 ·
Yea it was a headache to install but I don't turn my settings past 4 if I'm going far and it's a straight long highway then I might go as high as 6... I live in NYC aka pothole central if that helps. But it is definitely better than stock

#5 ·
I do use it on for street but I also take this bike to the track. The HESD was pretty good, but I caught this gpr on a good low price. it runs pretty good, for street. you can tell the difference instantly. I'll know for sure how it is at the track next week at chuckwalla. my previous bikes I use to run it pretty high like 10-15 lol but that was preference

#12 ·
For the street, you do not need another damper, the HESD is just fine. For the track, its also fine until you are an intermediate or above rider. If you lighten the front end, something more aggressive is required.

I've seen GPR's that have issues with the seals leaking. I'd suggest either the hyperpro or the ohlins linear style over a rotary style damper.

#14 ·
HESD is trash once you get to a quicker pace at the track. Fine for street use.

GPR4 is OK, but not great. I had them on my racebikes, but they went wonky after about a season, even after multiple refreshes. Don't quite work well - one is too loose, the other too tight, the third is loose in one direction and tight in the other, etc.

Ohlins is by far the best damper you can get, and it's a shame that you have to get a special bracket for it.

#19 ·
if you don't want to buy the 41mm socket from GPR, you can go to a parts store and buy a 1in 5/8 socket and put a layer of tape around the stem nut so it fits better (or 41mm if you can find one in existence). for installation of the GPR bracket you will have to use a grinder to grind down the outside of the socket to fit in the bracket. its a pain but you don't have to order one online and wait for it.

#21 ·
HESD sucks IMO, at low speed it does nothing which I find is annoying in parking lots, I like a much stiffer feel than that. Also it feels as though when you're coming off throttle at higher speed and need to maneuver, the HESD is not doing enough.

I have not been able to test my HESD to ensure function on my '09. Can someone confirm the process? I thought it was turn the bike to on with the throttle pegged and have it in any gear besides neutral and kick stand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.