Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Correct Bearing Selection

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  daveyboy 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a CBR1000rr 2012, have to change my main journal bearing. I know my crank case ID and crank shaft ID but unable to figure out what was the stock colour bearing the bike came out from the factory. My Crank case ID is BBABB and Crank shaft ID is L23222. Can you please explain me how to decode this and let me know what was the bearing colour the bike came out of the factory. I have uploaded the colour chart from the work shop manual please check below. Thank you.

#4 ·
will all the journal bearing colour from the factory left to right will be same or not ?. The issue I am facing is a abnormal noise from the clutch side. I removed the clutch and cranked the noise still exits. so my mechanic suggested me to go for the next size bearing for the crank. should I replace all the bearing with the next colour (next size) or replace only the bearing which have worn out ?.

#5 ·
You have 2012 and trying to put next size bearing up just because he told you so?.
You will create more headache much more than you can imagine. And create more damage ...much more damage than fixing it.

How many miles on the bike? Why you have to change main bearing? Do you have pics of the bearing? Do know for sure the bearing is damaged? And if it is how about the crank journal itself? Is it okay or damaged too? Never change bearing size without proper oil clearance. Have to measure the clearance on the journals and then decide.

#6 ·
Hi Max, I am from India and super bikes are new to the Indian market. These bikes are pure import and we have to shell out 110% duty on the base price making it 30K $ for a new one. There are only three or four trained Honda engineers in India to service these bikes. I have to pay for their travel, accommodation and service if I want to service the bike with Honda. This doest not stop with this from battery, tyres and spares parts we have to import, again we have to pay duty for it. So I decide to sort help from a local mechanic who have good knowledge on big bikes especially Yamaha.

My bike is a 2012 CBR with 10k miles on it. I am sure that main journals bearing are damaged and we have to check the connecting rod bearings for damage, we are unable to decide what colour bearing to change as bearing are not available here and we have to import it. So I am confused what colour bearing to import. I have some queries.

1) Will all the main journal colours be same (i.e) say yellow colour on the 5 journals from the factory or it will be according to this code left to right B2, B3, A2, B2, and B2 (as colour have faded away in the bearings).

2) Say that the clearance for 2nd and 4th journals have exceeded the service limit (damaged) then I must replace with next size then the code will be from L to R B2, C3, A2 , C3 and B2. correct me if I am wrong.

Please help me to sort this out, Thank you.

#7 ·
1. Maybe, but based on your infos, its not.

2. No, its not as simple as that. You have to visually check journals for damages and use plastigages and micrometer to check for oil clearances and roundness.

Most of time, main bearing will not go bad as easy as you think. If the journals are good, people will put same exact bearings on it, no need to change the size, if you going to change it, you have to cut the journals and use appropriate bearings size.

How the heck you damaged your main bearings w 10k miles if you maintain your bike properly???
Do you use cooking oil for your engine oil? Do you rode your bike more than 5 minutes without any oil?

If you maintain the bike properly, main bearings will last a really long time. My biggest question is how do you know your main bearings are bad? Just feel like to replace them? How???

Did you tore your engine apart and check your bearings with plastigages and visually inspect them?

#8 ·
As long as the crank journals are good, there's really no reason that you shouldn't be able to just replace the rod and main bearings and reassemble, provided the rods aren't toast as well. Odds are good with that low mileage that there shouldn't be any issue with the cases themselves, and unless there's rod damage that's obvious, Honda's are typically bulletproof where the bearings are meant to be replaced. Looks like you need (6) Yellow, (2) green, and (2) pink for mains based on the numbers you provided. Assuming you've got the info to determine the correct rod bearings as well. If there's any doubt, and there's no crank damage, you might find it to be a sound investment in just replacing the rods while you're there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.