Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Peter from New Zealand

528 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  CBR_PC 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am Peter a 65 yr young rider from Auckland New Zealand. My 2013 Fireblade is the 18th bike that I have owned but there is a huge gap between No 16 and 17. Would you believe 32 years? I started riding when I was 16 and began road racing about then. I then got into off road doing mainly moto cross and enduro for 8 more years. I had a pretty serious crash on the road in 1983 which kind of turned me off bikes but they say once it gets in your blood its always there and so after a bit of serious thought I decided to get back into riding just for fun. I had started road cycling initially and enjoyed the buzz of descending the downhills and decided I still had the skills to ride OK so I went to my local Honda shop (still in my cycling Lycra) and discussed buying a bike. They were really cool and let me ride my way up from a CBR300 to a CBR500 and then a CB650. In the end I opted for a brand new CBR650F with ABS. Lovely bike with lots of power and I spent some dough on a good instructor to get safely back into the game. But by three weeks I felt the 650 was not really where I was going and that I wouldnt be happy until I owned a superbike. I checked out the various machines out there. Yamaha R1 looked great, the Aprilia RSV4 very sexy and the Ducati Panagale 1199 looked the bees knees. I could have just about afforded some of those but really I wasnt looking at taking a beautiful bike and risking it on the track. Mainly I wanted a bike that I could ride on the weekend on ordinary roads and commute to work on as well. So, despite its lack of electronic wizardry the CB1000rr seemed to be the best choice for me. I traded in my brand new 650 for a 2013 CBR1000rr Fireblade and am absolutely loving it. More power than I could ever use but wonderful handling and easier to ride than I thought. I think this one is a keeper.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well..Guess what! I am on bike No19. The lovely red white and blue CBR1000rr went back to the shop due to a flashing ABS light that came on after only a couple of days. I told the shop to take it back and I would take the brand new CBR1000rr that was sitting beside it. Had to pay the $2900 difference but I am not complaining. Non ABS but I am extremely happy with it. No doubt a new bike will always feel better than one that has some history. It purrs like a kitten and really goes when you feed it the juice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.