Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

New Member 1st CBR

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  jerseysam 
#1 ·
Hi all,

new member.

Just moving up from my Yamaha XJ6n to a 2007 CBR1000rr

Very excited and nervous at same time!

Never ridden a sportsbike before or 1000cc so hoping the naked 600 i am moving off will be a slight introduction at least :serious:

Do any of you guys have any good tips for me - regarding first few times on the bike and also maintenance etc.

Am looking forward to jumping on but also a little scared lol.
Riding style gonna be different to my naked and the power too.

Help and advice appreciated!!!

#2 ·
Welcome bro, congrats on the new ride. Respect the power, take time to learn the bike and be safe out there. :th_salute:

Maintenance..........

Oil and filter @ 2,500-3,000 mi.
clean, lube and check slack of chain about every 1,000 mi.
maintain air pressure
since it's a used bike change all fluids
check brake pads

That should get you started.

#3 ·

Yeah I can't wait to get on it.

I just just the same as when I got my 600 - take it easy, get used to the bike. Don't be an idiot.

Just concerned riding in the wet first time and leaving corners etc I think. But as you say - just take it easy for a while.

Thanks for the maintenance tips. Regular service, check tyre pressure and chain same as my 600.

No fuel gauge is a difference for me I guess too.

#4 ·
I found myself on a 2007 CBR1000rr many years sooner than expected.
Had my license for a little less than 2 years and only about 25.000 km's experience. Now I'm fully convinced it's not only a great bike for advanced riders but also for "new" riders.

Who wouldn't be very careful with sooo much power in one hand?
Yes, the first time you are a little less careful with the gas... you'll probably get scared. That's usually the wake-up call to make sure you want to get to know every reaction of the the bike.
And after many hours the bike grows on you.

And if the bike does something scary... Clutch in and don't touch the gas until you dare to breath again!
Have fun with it, it's a great bike.

Maintenance, see posts above or download the manual.

#5 ·
Thanks for that :) really helpful.

When I looked online or YouTube everyone is like "don't get a litre bike" or "litre bikes are pointless".

But I want a litre bike! They look awesome, sound awesome and are awesome machines. I have had a 50cc, 125cc and 600cc so seemed like the natural progression to me. Also the Honda CBR has good feedback for being smooth and street/rider friendly so when one came up for a good price I thought yes.

Will just be careful and work into it slowly I guess as I did with the 125 and 600. Am sure I will be fine, am excited.

Will post back after my 1st ride maybe.

Any riding tips appreciated :)

Cheers guys

#6 ·
You asked for advice so here it is. If you want to improve your riding, start riding track, on any machine. Bikes will come and go, but skill and experience you will take with you forever. Track school is a great way to go. You get used to control at the limit and learn how not to panic at traction limits. This translates well into emergency situations where your response becomes an action, not a thought process or inaction. Riding at the track is not cheap, but it saves you in an ugly situation on the street, it's quite valuable.

And of course, it is epicly fun :)

#20 ·
You asked for advice so here it is. If you want to improve your riding, start riding track, on any machine. Bikes will come and go, but skill and experience you will take with you forever. Track school is a great way to go. You get used to control at the limit and learn how not to panic at traction limits. This translates well into emergency situations where your response becomes an action, not a thought process or inaction. Riding at the track is not cheap, but it saves you in an ugly situation on the street, it's quite valuable.

And of course, it is epicly fun
+1
Do a track day; you won't regret it. Bigtime confidence-builder, wicked fun, and it will make you smoother on the controls. Plus your CBR was bred for life on the racetrack!

#7 ·
Hubby has +30 years experience and rode about every racebike you can imagine. He has been a good teacher.

Find someone you trust and has experience with racebikes, explain what you want to learn and just follow him/her the first few times. Then switch place, but only when you start to trust yourself with your bike. Let your mentor follow to observe you and let him give feedback. Then listen and learn.
O, and don't forget to take your bike for easy rides when you're alone.

#8 ·
Ok cool. Thanks.

Had never considered a track school before. Just imagined a track day was for experienced riders already. Guess it makes sense. I will look at track instruction / advanced riding - good idea, and yes also sounds fun :)

Am sure once I give it my first ride and get used to it my confidence will grow, just like my 600 I guess. Just read too many posts about people saying how dangerous they are and I am expecting to turn the throttle a bit leaving a corner and the back wheel to go crazy and start spinning lol

#11 ·
Welcome! +1 on Capt's recommendations, I like to baby my chain's cleaning/lubing every week - will help with chain longevity. Depends on your riding and conditions.

Get suspension setup for your weight! DIY - great way to get familiar with your bike, you will need help to do it yourself. Or go get it done professionally, Me, I went to my Friend/mechanic Nelson because he knows his shit and I trust him.

#14 ·
Hi all :)

Been on my new cbr1000rr today first time :)

Big smile on my face :)

Inner thighs slightly sore but all good!

Wow what an awesome machine.

After all my nervous thoughts before I hopped on and after 5 minutes I felt at home. Phew! Adjusted to sports style bike and all is fine. And I am still alive! Lol

Amazing bike, suck fun and it just keeps going and going!

Now I know what all you guys feel like. It rocks!

Thanks for all the advice. Will post a pic of my bike soon if I can work out how :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.