Potential New Member

981 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  sashsania 
#1 ·
Quick Intro:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 200 lbs (220+ with full gear)
Place: Alberta, Canada
Experience: Riding since 16
Past Rides: 50cc moped, 125 two stroke Yamaha, 500 cc Thumper retro, Yamaha 350 cc RD 350.
Also experience (but not owned): CBR 1000RR <-- love them, love them, love them

Current Ride: 2015 Honda CBR 500R (potentially wife's ride that I am simply breaking in :wink:)

Ride Style: Sporty (not street Rossi though). Love scrapping pegs and trail braking

Need a second ride: Was looking at 2016 FJ-09 and GSX-S 1000 very seriously. Will be using it for city commute and weekend trips. Wifey might ride her own CBR or join me as pillion very occasionally.

Did test ride of Fj-09 twice. First time didn't like it much but second test ride after a gap of a month, found it good.

Test rode GSX-S 1000 twice and like it well except that snatchy throttle issue and somewhat cheaply build quality.

I am okay with above two options but not fully happy. Mind vs heart. That brings me to CBR 1000RR (no SP). I love the linear throttle of this bike and Honda reliability of course.

On top, there are great deals on 2015 models here in Canada. about 14K OTD Canadian $, some what equivalent to USD 10,500. I am aware brand new 2017 model is just around corner.

Questions: Based on above what you guys suggest. Should I pull the the trigger on 2015 CBR? Look somewhere else? or wait for 2017 (its Almost August and Winter is coming...)? Any other brand/bike suggestions or things members want to advice me here be highly appreciated.

Cheers! :nerd:

See less See more
#2 ·
I say get what your going to be most happy with. You've had some experience with other bikes and seem to know what you want in a bike. Each bike has it's place. At the end of the day, it's some dough your putting down and to not be completely satisfied would be criminal. I love my 12 cbr1000 and couldn't be happier because, for me, it has what I was looking for.
Good luck on your purchase!

#3 ·
Thanks S.Matta.7. My only concern is my age(41) and height (6'1"). Hoping the ergonomics will not send me to chiro :wink:
Other than that, I just cant find myself "in-place" on these sport/sdv tourers like Fj-09 or Versys 1000. They just seem awkward to me.

Would like to hear from tall riders in the forum - any suggestions or experience sharing

#5 ·
Thanks for sharing experience. To your point, I won't be doing track at all.
I already have CBR 500R for daily around town ride. 1000 would be more for canyon carving in weekends, etc.

Having said that, where would you put your money if you were in market today? The budget is 10 - 12K USD and would buy only new 15/16 models.

#6 ·
Try to take a step back from the shininess though and think a little more objectively at the picture. Yeah, with the oil slump I imagine the toys are going for good discounts out there. Usually there is a bit of a premium on our side of the fence, but 14k is a fair price.

I had came from a ninja 500 which was a big step to the CBR 1k. Glad I did it, although it went from a street/track to track only now. It was very fun but without a racetrack it was hard to really enjoy it. Its buttery smooth, but unless the tach is >8k its like having a jet that that just drives around the airport.

After a few years of the CBR on the street, I bought a VFR 1200. Its not a supersport, but its not a lathargic tourer either. I like it, but they didn't sell many. The V4 is sublime. Transmission is a little slow, shaft drive is easy cleaning but there is a bit of slop in the linkage. Its a little heavy, but for 2 people its much nicer than a blade. The VFR sounds fantastic with the right exhaust. It's on the sport side of sport touring, so if your significant other is only coming once and a while its alright. My wife hated being on the back of the CBR. I'm not trying to sell you on a VFR, but for riding around town I find it more fun than the CBR. There are many other great options out there as well outside of a supersport that are quite good, don't rule them out automatically. Comfy for riding around town, lots of power, and good for a passenger.

If melt your eyeballs fast is what you want, go with the CBR, but it picks up speed fast so watch out. If you want "arrest me territory but my eyeballs aren't in the back of the socket and everything is blurry " fast, consider a sport tourer/enduro/naked machine.

Your insurance system is a lot less insane than ours, so that will be less of a factor. If you have curvy roads near you the CBR won't let you down, but can you cruise around town never letting the beast out of the box? I'm glad I bought a blade, its been rock solid but the racetrack is its true stomping ground.

Parts supply is a huge plus, you can find tons of stuff out there. I'm sure the 17 will have a bunch of electronic stuff, but unless you are measuring lap times in tenths, I don't think you'd have more or less fun on it. Personally I like the feel of a manual cable more than ride by wire (which it's sure to have) anyways. Given the well established parts supply mentioned, you won't have to pay a premium for fancy bits should you want them.

Go with your heart, but think about what you will spend most of your time doing on it.

Reactions: sashsania
#7 ·
After a few years of the CBR on the street, I bought a VFR 1200. Its not a supersport, but its not a lathargic tourer either. I like it, but they didn't sell many. The V4 is sublime.
Go with your heart, but think about what you will spend most of your time doing on it.
Thats a great advice Smergy. Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately, They don't sell VFR 1200 here in Canada. I do have option of buying VFR800 here. Give and take it would cost a grant less from CBR 1000. I like that bike a lot too. Test rode it back to back with CBR 1000. Of course, no such power as 1K but pretty fast still. More use bale power band and little updated electronics.

I am still confused! :crying:

#8 ·
I am 6'2" 175lbs and ride an 04 CBR1000RR. As long as speeds are in the 65-85mph range on the highway or I am working it in the corners the thing is super comfy for me. When speeds drop (like around town or bad traffic) it gets uncomfortable because the wind isn't helping to hold up my upper body and I get numb hands and neck pain.

If you are just considering it for a weekend/canyon carver I would say you couldn't make a better choice than a modern 1000cc sportbike. The current generation CBR is known for its comfort and refinement and won't bite you as bad as some other choices if you make a mistake.

It sounds like you really don't want a sport tourer (I don't blame you) so get the one that makes you say, "F%*K YEAH!" every time you ride it or stare at it in the garage.

#9 ·
If you are 5'9" the bike is reasonably comfortable, but as saiyan66 says > 6' its a bit more challenging. I'm 6'3 225 so I hear you on this one. It's more comfortable than a RSV4 or Daytona 675, but less comfortable than an RC8 or even the CBR 500. At 110 kph it starts to become neutral where the wind takes all of the weight off the wrists.

The VFR800's are a little neutered and are really just a rendition of the '02's with some minor tweaks. The 1200's aren't for sale here anymore I believe, but you can find used ones in good shape around.

Reactions: sashsania
#10 ·
I am going to dealership in next hour to decide between 2015 VFR 800 deluxe and 2015 CBR 1000 RR ABS. OTD of VFR Deluxe along with $500 CAD worth accessories is $13K CAD (US $ 10K). OTD of CBR with $800 worth accessories (e-seat, hugger, sport-screen, etc) is CAD $14K (US $10,600). Choices. choices... :nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.