Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Dirtbike or mods

5K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  jgetz524 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a dirtbike or I can spent the money($1500) for mods(X-treme Laser Exhaust, power comander, and powder coating swing arm, pegs, handlebars levers ). A friend turned me on to dirtbikes when he told me that you can go balls out and the only thing that holes you back is fear, on the street I have to worrie about cops. What would you do? Pro and con.

#4 ·
wickedsprint said:
I also ride dirtbikes, to me dirtbikes are alot more fun IF you have all the fun hills and trails nearby, like within riding distance. The CBR has more "peak" fun..ie: winding it out coming out of a turn, but the dirtbike has fun more often...

+1

Do the mods latter.... buy a dirt bike.

#8 ·
Stain, I don't know if its Ontario, California or Ontario, Canada but definately get the dirt bike. If you live in Socal you are already have some of the best riding within a fairly short distance whether its MX, desert, or trails. Its all fun no worries (cagers or law enforcement).

#11 ·
i got my 06 1krr and a 02 xr 650l the street version, fun but not as fun as my brothers crf450,that thing is an animal,my bikes fun but under powered,heavy and dangerous cause it's not a real dirtbike,(suspension)and weight is a big problem on dirt,so be picky on what you buy.i grew up riding dirt since i was 5 yrs old,honda cr 50 ,and man i can tell you,you will learn alot and be able to apply it to the street.but do yourself a favor ,and everyone on this site who rides dirt will agree without a doubt you need a helmet,chest protector,knee&elbow gaurds,real boot's,riding pant's and gloves,and oh ya you will get hurt,but it's dam fun.

#14 · (Edited)
Take it from me if you don't really need the mods for say, track days then just go get the dirt bike! I have just sunk over $4000 + in my bike since Dec and really want a dirt bike but the wife is not really into the idea but if I had not done all the mods I am sure she would not mind. My deal is I can get a 2001 YZ426F for $1800 from my buddy and I really don't want to pass up that kind of deal so I may just end up with the best of both worlds.

Oh, and in my case there are 3 state owned trails with in 1 hr. of me, a private trail 15 min. (Owned by the same guy that owns Durham town Plantation: Just featured on Two Wheel Tuesday) Durham town about 1 1/2 hrs. and Aonia Pass Motocross Park about 1 hr. so there is more than enough places to ride.

G
#17 ·
Nooo!! haha. Buy a 50!!! Or even better, a Kawasaki KLX 110... ohh such fun bikes to mess around on... If you can find an '05 Honda CRF 50 for $800 to $900... it's by far the best investment ever. They make for super fun messing around ANYWHERE, they're easy to transport, and if you ever start getting into racing/track riding, they make absolute GREAT pit bikes. I can't even begin to describe how in love with my 50 I am... sooo fun dude, SOO FUN

#24 · (Edited)
NFS_CBR said:
LUCKY!!!! could you post some pics, that thing is a wheelie machine
I would love to but unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. Hopefully soon. It is definately more fun to ride than to look at, though. I been through the whole bike: ported, piped, reed caged, carbed, supspensioned, etc'd. While it is no where near the high velocity thrill of the 1krr, it is a kick in the ass to ride. I am kind of on the larger side at 245 lbs., so it is the only dirtbike that gave me the same thrill I had when I got my first 250 mx'er when I was 16 and 150 lbs. As I posted before you can blast along without worry of cager or cop! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.