Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

gear progression...

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  zingpow 
#1 ·
i've been riding for as long as many of you have been alive, didn't get the cbr1000rr until late as my riding style seemed to change in the reverse direction of most...with my first bike, a honda magna (harley burnin' power cruiser) i bought harley leather as it seemed the best quality of in stock leather and it fit me, i still wear the leather hd jacket i bought over 20 years ago and it's still nice, it has all my military patches on it along with my dad's from ww2...the hd chaps i only wore a few times (501's are good enough by themselves) and the chaps are in a drawer somewhere like new...helemt was a shoei rj platinum open face, the bike had a windshield but i still ate quite a few bugs...i wore my redwing cowboy style boots...

the second bike i owned was an 01 vfr800 (gear driven cam) and i bought some joe rocket leather pants and an icon compound jacket which i still use in cold weather along with a scorpion 700 helmet and some cheap ass boots that i wore a few times and went back to my redwings...the compound jacket is the cat's ass when it's cool outside as it has a full thermal liner and does a great job of keeping me warm, but when it's hot out and i take the liner out and open the vents (and the throttle) it will lift me off the bike like a hang glider behind a speed boat...it's a small and is bigger than most mediums i have ever seen...again, i still have the jacket and wear it during the cool days of spring/early summer and in the autumn...it is a nice jacket and well made, the liner could be a jacket by itself...

3 summers ago i bought the cbr1000rr...i googled until my fingers ached and my eyeballs got screen fatigue and pulled the trigger on some dianese summer wear and all of it fits like it was custom made for me...

air crono jacket with alpinestars level 2 back protector
air frazer pants and dianese hard shorts...
course out boots that are an absolute dream...if they EVER wear out i'll buy another pair just like them...
shoei 1100 i bought (vicious sale) just as the 1200 was introduced...
my gloves are heavily padded and have dense mesh for air and would offer abrasion protection at best...

i'm about 5'9" with shoes on (shrinking from my usmc boot camp 5'10" in bare feet) and weigh just over 150lbs with an athletic built...zing with alot of miles behind me...

See less See more
#3 ·
all those were fine for the magna, if i were to purchase one for whatever reason (inexpensive with low miles) i would probably ride with the 501's and redwing boots...it was a fun bike more suited as a get around mode of transportation than anything requiring serious gear...the redwing boots i refer to are far and away better than the first pair of street bike boots i purchased which were marketed with some degree of protection but which had none...the redwings had better leather, a solid toe for sure shifting, better forward and lateral rigidity and heel protection...and as i pointed out the bike had a windshield, the worst i ever encountered with the shoei platinum open face helmet was a bee blasting through between the padding of the helmet and my head and stinging me on the bean...

i read an article long after i began riding in which the author put forth this piece of sage advice for new riders which i would agree with:

...take whatever money you have, go out and buy the best protective gear you can, with what's left over purchase a motorcycle...in this day in age where there are so many cell phone drivers and angst ridden mad max car and truck drivers out there i think he is right on the money, no pun intended...zp...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.