Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

SC-Project, mid-pipe doesn't fit.

10K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  wreckdivr 
#1 ·
I ordered a few months ago. Finally started pulling the bike apart to put the exhaust on. Discovered the mid-pipe is bigger then the collector coming off the headers on the bike. Like a half an inch bigger. I contacted SC-Project and they don't think I have a 2014 model. I know I do but I sent them a screen shot of my loan with American Honda.

Anyway they said this in my last communication with them: "It’s strange because the model year before was more little than the new one this is why we asked.
Could you write us your chassis number/vehicle id?
We will make a check with our Honda partner."

I know not to many people have this exhaust here and probably even less with a 2014 or newer. Anyone (RepsolRider I'm looking at you, LOL) have any ideas? I waited a while for this and I dont want to go through the trouble of putting the stock exhaust back on while this gets sorted out.

I'm trying to help SC-Project along to the conclusion that they sent me the wrong pipe, unless some how my 2014 has a 2013 header on it.

Help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The VIN sticker on the frame should clearly show the model year and date of manufacture.

#6 ·
#7 ·
It does. Not sure if posting my VIN is allowed or advisable but the 10th digit is an E. I've never doubted i bought a 2014. What I dont understand is why SC-Project is so adamant about the possibility I didnt know what year my bike was as opposed to the more realistic possibility of them shipping the wrong part/mid-pipe for me.

I had my kid examine the box. He says there are no model numbers on it but he sucks so I'll have to double check when I make it home. I can post pics so you gusy can see how far off it is. Its VERY noticeably different.

#10 ·
I bought directly from SC-Project. The collector coming off the header on the bike is 2.16OD. The mid-pipe is 2.45OD. Its bit deformed from tightning the TBolt clamp as far as it could go.

As you can see from the pics I struggle to get it to reach the gasket on the collector side and its too big. I think SC-Project messed up I was just looking for confirmation. This is not a hard install.

#11 ·
So i'll way i here because I know your exact problem and most people in AUS have the same issue. For 2014 the Aus/Euro CBRs have changed the exhaust system. Like you see in your photo the SC pipe is to big (this was one of the changes for Aus/Euro) the cat and the O2 sensor is also in different locations for us. Essentially anybody with a 2014 model who has stock headers needs to buy a pipe that has designed in their country other wise it won't fit.
NB. The exception being Akro a believe they make 2 separate systems. Hope this helps

#12 · (Edited)
Damn really? Their site doesn't indicate its market specific. That's a huge oversight on their part. Am I the only person that bought one of these for a USD 2014 1000RR. That's crazy. I'll look at their site again but it didn't look like they specified non US market. I was going to entertain getting a pipe made to adapt but ideally I'd like for SC-Project to rectify the situation

#13 ·
Yea sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I bought a 2Bros (no judging pls) for my 2014 aus model. connections are 2 different sizes major oversight by a lot of manufacturers. I also believe that on the US model the o2 sensor is after the cat convertor (I could be wrong) on the aus/euro model its in the end of the header pipes. You could try running with the 2011-2013 year as these were the same globally. If you look at the 2014 CBR akro pipe on their website their is a small disclaimer say it will only fit the aus/euro and of you have a US to get on of their earlier pipe.

Sorry bro

#14 ·
Yeah I'm starting to realize that this was by design (a wrong design). What I'm hoping is that they realize the screw up and make it right by sending me the pipe that fits (and I send them back the one that doesn't) and they fix this going forward (either change 14 model to be the same as 13 or make it clear on their site that it only fits certain domestic models). I'm waiting to see what they come back and say.

#19 ·
Yeah but he has a 2013. Their site says 2008-2013 and then they have a different model for the 2014/ABS.

So it seems I should've ordered the 2008-2013 model. I think on a thread where repsolrider helped answer questions someone stated that SC said the design was different so the 2013 and down would not work on a 2014 (contrary to what motovation was telling their customers.......it seems motovation was actually correct). They must've only spec'd the Euro version and assumed all markets were the same. Ideally if this is the case then all they have to do is a send me a 2013 pipe and I should be good to go.

Still waiting on them to reply.

#20 ·
SC-Project is bing a bit stubborn. They are insisting i have the previous year bike despite the fact I pointed out to them some exhaust makes are in the know and pointed them to their respective pages.

Anyone have any official documentation from Honda that may speak to the USD market being different then the Euro spec.....or something that will get them to listen.

#25 ·
Yeah I don;t know how SC-Project is going to handle this. I deally al lthey need ot do is send me the midpipe for a 08-13 and I can ship back the 14 mid-pipe to them. I replied to their last email asking for that very same thing. Hoping they respond soon. Its been some nice riding days out and I dont want to go thru the trouble of putting the stock exhaust on.

#26 ·
2012-2013 Models have a 48mm outlet the header collector
2014+ Models have a 60mm outlet from the header collector (with a cat in it)
2014+ USA Models have the same exhaust as 2012-2013 Models (i.e. 48mm)

It is most likely that you have a 2014 euro-spec SC Project exhaust which would fit on the 60mm outlet.

#27 · (Edited)
Yeah thats the conclusion I came to with previous posts. Getting SC-Project ot understand that was a bit of a PITA (they kept pushing back saying it looked like a 2013 bike).

Anyway they relented. Should have the pipe in hand by Thursday and them I can finally install it. Ideally I asked them to change their website to note that their 2014 is for a Eurospec bike and US/CDN/AUS bike owners need to get the 2013 setup..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.