Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

still won't start...head scratching continues, (‘08)

30K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  SA-Speedster 
#1 ·
My '08 died on the freeway over a week ago, and it's been parked up in the garage ever since. Yesterday I pulled most of the plastics and tore into it. Here are the basics...the bike has lights and there are no error codes displayed on the dash; it cranks but just refuses to fire. I did the following checks:

• Visually inspected all wiring and connectors I could reach. There is no evidence of breaks, shorts or scorched wiring.
  • Unplugged/removed Power Commander.
  • Installed a new battery (from Cycle Gear, but I have a Ballistics 8-cell lightweight unit on the way).
  • Drained all fuel and put in some fresh fuel.
  • Tested fuel pump.
  • Cleaned kill switch contacts.
  • Checked all fuses. They're intact.
  • Inspected air filter...a little on the dirty side but I've seen worse on running bikes.

I really wanted to get the bike up and running so that I could perform some multimeter tests, but so far it's not cooperating. What has me puzzled is trying to think of a condition that would cause the bike to die, without warning, out of the blue, yet still leave me with enough electrical power to spin the starter over. I thought the charging system was suspect but that would have left me with a completely dead bike, yes? The Battery Tender shows green after a couple of minutes even with the previous battery (Bike Master gel cell). Maybe the plugs are fouled...they have just over 12,000 miles on them, but again I've gone further on original plugs.

Bad ECU? Bad cam position sensor? :shrug:

See less See more
#2 ·
i doubt its the plugs. Are you sure you have fuel pressure? Pump may work, but not have pressure; but i would think that it wpuld have spit and spuddered before it shut off. Do you have spark? I have an 07 not an 08, but i remember reading that you need to crank the engine for 20 seconds or something to see if it will cause a code.

#4 ·
My thinking would be the ECU, yet that would be the last thing I would replace after checking every other system (not much help I know). Anything out of the ordinary before this happened?

I might run a continuity test on the wires in the harness to insure you don't have a short or incomplete circuit somewhere along the line. Tedious task yet you'll have the peace of mind of knowing. I believe (?) that there is a diagnostic test for the CPS.

When prepping the bike to start it carries on in the normal fashion? I.e. turn key= tach sweep, kill to run position= fuel pump prime etc...

Wish I had '08 ecu to lend for you to check. I'll flip through the book later to see if I can find the diagnostics.

Best of luck mate.

#5 ·
Did you check and clean around the sidestand switch area? I've read where other owners have had problems with it being loose or dirty and the engine suddenly cut off. However, that wouldn't explain why it wouldn't start again if you put it in neutral while cranking.

There's a diagnostic guide in the '08 service manual. I'll look into it later when I get home from work.

#7 ·
I doubt if it's the charging system at this point, but will know after testing it. Got to get it running first! :thumbsup:

I have a friend with an '08 as well...maybe he'll let me borrow his ECU for a temporary test swap.

#8 · (Edited)
Firstly last things first. Don't put his ecu in your bike put your ecu in his. If his bike runs your ecu is good. Thereason behind putting your parts onto his bike is for example you have a shorted wire that cooked. Your ecu. If you put his ecu on your bike it will fry also. secondly test to see if the coils fire, check to see if injectors fire. May be able to feel a click while cranking on the injectors as they pulse and if you remove a coil can definagely feel them firing. Its not side stand switch If the bike won't start in neutral. The charging system is not the cause of the no start, Possibly created the fault but not going to give you a no start.

#9 ·
Firstly last things first. Don't put his in yours put yours in his. If his bike runs it's not that secondly test to see if the coils fire, check to see if injectors fire. May be able to feel a click while cranking. Its not side stand switch I'd the bike won't start in neutral. The charging system is not the cause. Possibly created the fault but not going to give you a no start. If you put your friends ecu in your bike and it is a overvoltage that killed your ecu your going to cook his as well.
I had to re-read your post several times in order to make any sense of what you're trying to say. :shrug:

#11 ·
Roughly the same thing happend to me 2 times yesterday while stoping at a stop light. Bike just died while downshifting. Was able to crank it again right away without any issues both times tho. Did just install the PCV on Friday. Might have something to do with that from what I've read. Any clues? Possible firmware or TPS not set up right, map? Did get the map off of the PC site. Dont really know the PCV that well yet.

#13 ·
ECU?? Cam sensor?? These parts are EXCELLENT on all Hondas, and rarely have issues that I am aware of. I would look into the possibility of water in the gas or bad gas...or NO gas. Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but have you tested the kill switch? Things like this seem much more likely than the cam sensor or something more serious. Good luck

#14 ·
Kill switch: checked.

Previous fuel dumped and replaced with half a tank of premium. Oddly enough, the low fuel light came on shortly before this all happened. However, I've ridden well into reserve several times.

#17 ·
Went through as many of them as I could.

IRC/ Zbomb as well?
No Zbomb installed.

BTW: Here's something that I just remembered, not sure if it matters but every little bit helps. On the way from the house to the point where it stalled out, the bike felt a little down on power. Not a whole lot, it was quite subtle, but just enough for me to notice. The most I can liken it to is the difference between a full tank of gas, and when the tank is nearly empty...it seemed slightly sluggish when I cracked the throttle (passing, for example). I thought it was just me, but obviously something else was afoot.

#19 ·
Do you have spark?

Is fuel being delivered through the primary injectors?

Fuel pressure?

I might take a gander at your injectors to see if something was pulled through the fuel pump when you were nearing empty; maybe sucked some debris into the injector head causing a flow problem.

I'm throwing the diagnostic dice now!

#26 ·
my 07 died on me a few weeks ago,almost same thing. died going about 40 mph pulled over and checked pcIII, fired up, cotinued to store, died coming home, checked connection again,bike fired ran like crap and died entering driveway. would not fire. no codes,fi light nothing.started to pull pcIII out and found a kinked hose under tank that served as filler drain and tank vent. bike fired right up. weird thing is, I have not messed with tank for couple thousand miles. (popping tank filler did not cure this either). not the exact same senario, but check your vent hoses under tank.

#27 ·
My 08 blade wouldn't start,lights come on,engine turns but no fire
The fuel pump was not coming on,every thing seemed ok relay,fuse's,kill switch we taught,long story short after 2 months there is a clip to release the ecu, underneath was all corroded and one wire was broke,the one going to the fuel pump,after paying 250 euro that's all it was my bike it now going like a champ after a long headache

#32 ·
I am also having the same problem with my 2008 CBR1000RR (the engine is a 2012, installed in 2015). You can turn it over but the fuel pump does not engage. One thing I have noticed is if I hammer on/off the kill switch, it will fix it. I have it booked for the shop tomorrow so I will let you know what is the problem soon.

#35 ·
I have same issue on my 08 Blade now.

Its a pitty that some forum members dont come back to provide feedback or the solution to their problems.:cry:
In my case Im pretty sure its not the kill switch.
I started a new topic however..at "electrical"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.