Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Spark plug talk (Bosch Sparkplug vs NGK)

7K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  gwei 
#1 ·
Well, I work at Bosch and rides a CBR1000RR 2004.

And we have this spark plug sample

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-Spark-Plug-x1-Petrol-0242065502-/131583002372

UHR09CI30. It doesnt seems like its for sale in Germany, nor is it very well known even in Germany.

Its NGK equivalent is IMR9C-9H according to cross reference through online source NGK spark plug cataloge.
NGK Spark Plug catalouge:http://ngkntk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Spark_Plug_Cat_2016.pdf

Does anyone think it will survive on my CBR1000RR at max RPM?

Previously in my country OWS and Hodaka had came here and market various type of spark plug as experienced car spark plug makers. OWS brought in their twin iridium (Iridium centre/ground electrode). However their spark plug failed to entered the local 2 wheeler market as their spark plug are unable to cope with the performance intensity of motorbikes. OWS spark plug even failed because its tips broke off and cause the entire vehicle engine to collapse. The callback was so expensive such that they decided to exit the market instantly and keep to the 4W market till today.

Was told to test Bosch UHR09CI30 on my bike recently.. but I'm kinda worried. Had anyone in Germany tried this on superbike? I google this spark plug, apparantly it is only popular in Taiwan as a leading brand for scooters. But never did I ever know of this plug on a superbike.

Pls englighten whether I should try this plug. Currently I have 20 samples in my hand and Im told to try it. My boss did guaranteed a new bike for me should it failed tho <_<

See less See more
#5 ·
To test that it is actually feasible on 2 wheelers vehicle even among the high performance. Becus we Bosch are known for premium car spark plug market in the country. No one knows if our 2 wheelers plugs works anot not even ourselves. There were brands who came in for 2 wheeler industry with their twin iridium plug but end up embarrassing themselves with broken electrode tips.

#6 ·
What the F*%$ is this crap all about? A global 15 Billion Dollar a year company that employs 60,000 people like BOSCH does not need to give their employees free samples to test what can and will be done under controlled lab conditions.

Just install one of the 2 brands of spark plugs specified in the owners manual and be done with it. Nobody needs the extra drama of trying untested plugs that may or may not destroy your engine. Always stupid shit popping up on these forums nowadays.... :rolleyes:

#7 ·
What the F*%$ is this crap all about? A company as big as BOSCH does not need to give their employees free samples to test what can and will be done under controlled lab conditions.

Just install one of the 2 brands of spark plugs specified in the owners manual and be done with it. Nobody needs the extra drama of trying untested plugs that may or may not destroy your engine. Always stupid shit popping up on these forums nowadays.... :rolleyes:
OWS and Hodaka are big brands as well.

You are underestimating how much they lost to cover up the saga of their plug failing. lol

OWS does not do 2 wheeler plugs as of today. And even the germans dont seems to like their Bosch 2W premium plugs as well. How many germans here uses bosch for their bike/1000rr? I wish I can meet some to get some confident. This product had been devloped for 5 years at least as the plug I have are manufactured in 2011/2012.

#10 ·
Please explain what is the purpose of the test? Functionality can be tested in other ways. It seems to me that the final test would be real-world testing for rideability, reliability and to look for any long term problems. A sample size of 1 makes for a dubious test.

#11 · (Edited)
we are in the sales department. we sell a very wide range of spark plugs, from industry to cars to trucks and motorcycles. the motorcycles plugs for high end bike like superbike were never sold here before, hence we want a real end user to try it. when ur far off the main HQ, theres nothing like lab test/survey test done by anyone with any real practical technical knowledge in the production of the product.

simple? theres propeerly some end user test in germany long ago, but we didnt have any news/updates on it.. namely becus they tested so many plugs, they dont emphasize one by one thoroughly.

anyway to put it bluntly, im selling it, so i have to use it and like the product. thats why i was given sample to test. thats it. nothing about research.

just before conducting the replacement, i did a google check, idont see anyone uses it even tho the cataloge say it is relevant replacement.

brought it to the workshop, was warned that there were other brands who brought the same thing here and end up failing.

#15 ·
I used to believe that all spark plugs were created equal until experience showed me different. I was spared catastrophic failure but I won't try to save a few bucks on a plug again.

You might be better off going to a wider audience with a survey.

Good luck.

#18 · (Edited)
BMW spark plug sswitch to NGK in the late 2000s because Bosch Spark plugs decided to go transit from pure made in germany, to 3 countries, Germany/China/india made. The move was to make sure Bosch can cater to a bigger range of market at very competitive price as spark plug consumption is extremely overwhelming in the less developed country like India where people generally travels through small scooters. There are at least 100 kind of unique aftermarket brands selling spark plug at ridiculous cost in the less developed country.

Bosch still makes ECU, Fuel Injector, Starter motor, Knock sensor, Lampda sensor, ABS for BMW S1000R btw. Bosch also makes MSC for the newest Ducati panigale,

If its the BMW from before 2010, most of them have Bosch Spark Plugs as OEM.

Anyway I tried UHR09CI30 on my 05 1000RR. Surprisingly it has lesser knock at low RPM than my previous CR9EHIX-9. lol. At high RPM it perform equally good. My previous NGK Iridium IX (Nickel-Iridium) is only 1month old/1200km)

Then again CR9EHIX-9 is NGK most universally used aftermarket spark plugs, they are not the real OE spark plug code for my bike which is actually NGK IMR9C-9HES(Laser iridium, NGK equivalent version of Platinum-Iridium).

Maybe becus one is platinum iridium, the other is nickel iridium, at the same heat range, the nickel-iridium spark plug is in fact hotter as nickel are better conductor.

Now what Im afraid is that there may be an issue when I removes it, 30k miles later. e.g stuck in there :/

Platinum iridium expects to live twice longer than nickel-iridium

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.