Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

New ‘17 SC77 revealed!

74K views 323 replies 70 participants last post by  Saul54 
#1 ·
http://44teeth.com/2017-honda-cbr1000rr-fireblade-sp-sp2/

Quoted from the article "Honda is back. And back with two banging versions of an all-new Fireblade SP to celebrate this iconic steed’s 25th anniversary: a more basic ‘stock’ version (SP) and the SP2, which is, essentially, a homologation racing special complete with Marchesini rims, a revised cylinder head and a racing kit as an optional extra, reviving another iconic Honda name in the process. Both bikes feature…"
189bhp (+11bhp)
15kg lighter at 195kg (kerb)
Power-to-weight ratio improved by 14%
Öhlins semi-active suspension
Bosch MM5.10 5-axis Inertial Measurement Unit
Engine braking control
Quickshifter/auto-blipper
Traction control
Titanium fuel tank
Brembo Monoblocs
Cornering ABS

See less See more
#3 ·
I know right? I still love my analog CBR but honestly I'm tempted. The whole electronics package plus a color TFT screen with the quickshifter and TC make it pretty sweet. I also love the fact they're not screwing around with the SP. They're actually throwing on proper hardware and giving options.

#9 ·
Looks are subjective. You either like it or you don't. No point debating that. These bikes aren't built solely to look good. Wheel options on the SP and SP2. Marchesini wheels for the SP2. The frame only has plastic covering it anyway so it makes no difference whether it's exposed or not. If you're worried about crashing you'd need to be more concerned about the magnesium fuel tank. Read the article.

#13 ·
The Video has a shot of it at 0:44

#17 ·
It has all of the electronics people have been asking for, cool rims, and the titanium silencer looks like it was made by Nojima. Seems to me that the new CBR can go from the show room floor to the track, and be fun, without having to buy anything.

#27 ·
I am not too excited. Doesn't mean I won't buy one but it is the same bike.

Same motor, same transmission, same frame (tweaks). You can make your '08+ into one of these minus the frame tweaks and the electronics. I think the weight loss is a numbers game. They are comparing a pre-2017 ABS bike to this update. The Honda ABS system was very heavy.

Nicky Hayden must be looking elsewhere because I bet he has been running the SP2 based bike for some time.

#31 ·
Same motor, same transmission, same frame (tweaks). You can make your '08+ into one of these minus the frame tweaks and the electronics. I think the weight loss is a numbers game. They are comparing a pre-2017 ABS bike to this update. The Honda ABS system was very heavy.
Hmmm not really sure about that. At least new cyl head. New one has t stat housing on left, just by looking at the pics.

#29 ·
Nicky Hayden has been a Honda rider for years and I don't think that's ever going to change. Speculating what team he rides for isn't really a buying metric.

It has magnesium engine casings, a titanium components and is lighter than every bike in it's class. That's just the base bike. If you look at the SP2 that's even lighter with the Marchesini wheels. This is a lighter package overall with all the extras which is pretty amazing.

The engine works, is still competitive and makes power. Those who have tuned the motors know it makes good power and has good reliability to boot. So why mess with that. On the street it's going to be a pleasure to ride. The torque curve was fantastic on the street as well.

What I see is a bike that's taken the best qualities of the old CBR, rideability and reliability, packed with a nice safety net as well. It's not lacking for electronics.

They've also talked about an RC variant which would be more expensive if people want something that's more race ready. Hondas throwing out options.

Also when have Honda's ever had the most HP among street bikes? They've always been about balance. If you're looking for HP from anything they produce they're always modest. Once tuned they put out a lot more power. But they've never been about straight HP figures. Hell the ZX10 from the early 2000's made way more power than today's CBR's but were not exactly the best bikes to ride around a track.

#30 ·
Though it is not the revolution that people wanted. It is the evolution that we needed! As stated, they are keeping the basics the same from the previous models and adding tweaks to it. I am looking forward to this motorcycle. I think it will please the racers more than the daily riders, just because of the lightweight and nimble feeling. Now, this is all assumptions, but I think it's safe to say this thing will handle like it's on rails!

I registered for the forums today in particular for this bike. I sold my 07 600rr in hopes for a nice, practical and fun bike. Though I have not sat on it, I believe it is here. I am actually creating an ad to sell my Mercedes, buy a small pickup and wait for this bad boy to come out. I really hope Arrow comes out with a bad ass exhaust system for this bike!!!

#34 ·
According to the article I read the new cylinder head is dedicated to the SP2 of which 500 will be built for homologation purposes (again according to the article).

The lighter components keep the weight down when adding electronics and ABS. Nobody has made it clear whether ABS is optional.

One article claimed that they had raised the rev limit to 13,000 from 12,250. Funny but that's what it has been. If they had said max power was now at 13,000 that would have been different.

I wish it weren't so naked but that's ok.

Assuming it isn't an oil burner and the crankshaft won't lose its output gear I would buy one. Just no as impressed as I might be had they gone after BMW etc.

The Honda TT riders have pretty much conceded the race in the SuperStock category because they haven't got the horse power.

#35 ·
The TT records were literally broken in 2016... Not bad for an allegedly underpowered bike.

#37 ·
It'll be interesting to read here what all those guys that bashed the BMW S1000RR because "real riders don't need no stinkin' electronic aids" and whether they'll jump on this bandwagon.

On paper, this new CBR looks like a great and huge leap over the antiquated bike it replaces. The question that we hope isn't a $64K question is - what's it going to cost. A lot of those guys bashing other bikes made their best point when talking about how cheaply you could be riding a new liter bike from Honda. This bike is either going to cost a lot more or it'll be because Honda is just deciding to subsidize it. They can't package a bike with everything they have on either version and sell it for low teens.

#38 ·
I assume when they claim under 20k you're looking at 18 or 19.... I really wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 20. But honestly it's still a great bike at that price. It has literally everything on it. Prices inflate after time. For all you're getting there's a lot packed into it. Especially considering the use of magnesium for the engine casing and titanium for the gas tank. Honda really didn't cheap out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.