Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Engine cutting out, ‘08

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  AhmedAlogaili 
#1 · (Edited)
The problem:
Bike repeatedly cuts out while riding, regardless of rpm. The tach needle goes to 0, HESD light comes on, MIL comes on, but all other power (headlights, gauge lighting, etc) stay on. This happens briefly, maybe just a second or 2, and then it will run normally, tach will resume, HESD and MIL lights go out. Its very intermittent, will happen over and over for about 10-15 seconds or so, then run fun for another 20 minutes. Sometime it wont do it for hours, then it'll start doing it. Also noticed sometimes when I turn the key on I don't hear the usual noise which I assume is the fuel pump priming. If I jiggle around the fuse box sometimes it seems to help, but that could just be dumb luck. Also, when I jiggle it around, it doesn't cause the fuel pump to prime, I have to turn the key or engine switch off and back on to see if it worked.

What I've done:
It seems to be an obvious electrical issue, but with what component? Battery is new and terminals are tight. Followed the power wire from the battery as far as I could, connections are tight and clean at the main fuse, etc. Followed the ground wire, same deal. Checked the grounding point under the tank, its tight and corrosion free. Tried pulling the MIL code, jumpered the brown and green wires on the service port (DLC), but the MIL light stays on solid and never blinks when I turn the key on. Pulled the fuse box off and checked the underside of it, all connectors seem to be properly seated and making good contact, no corrosion or melted wiring or plastic from possible arcing. Removed the fuel tank to pull out the fuel pump and check everything, all connectors seemed tight when I removed them.

Also, I never have to restart the bike when it cuts out. If I maintain throttle, it comes back on and operates normally until it cuts out again.

Any ideas of what else to check or possible causes? Thank in advance for any advice everyone.

See less See more
#13 ·
OK, checked the continuity with the kickstand switch. Had resistance when it was up, circuit opened when the stand was about halfway down. Tried bouncing and shaking the kickstand to see if it would open up and it didn't, so I'm assuming the switch is good. Pulled off the kill switch and disassembled it, cleaned it up, cleaned the contacts, and re-greased it with a little dab of dielectric grease. Continuity checked out fine, jiggled the switch around and hit it on the desk a few times to see if it would open and it didn't. Took the tank off and cleaned the inside and cleaned the fuel strainer, checked all the contacts on the fuel pump, etc. Anything else to check before I start putting everything back together?

#14 ·
Something else to check is the ignition switch. My 929 had somewhat the same problem you describe, only everything went out on it. Try jiggling the key next time as soon as it cuts out.

If it has sat for any long periods of time, the copper contacts in the switch can oxidize and prevent consistent continuity.

#16 ·
Got everything put back together over the weekend. Flipped the kill switch several times and got the fuel pump noise every time. Started it and let it idle for a bit, then did the same with the kill switch. Again the fuel pump kicked on every time. Haven't had a chance to go for a ride due to shitty weather, but its looking good so far.

#17 ·
Hate to revive an old post, but I resolved the issue. Finally had a chance to go for a decent ride, and about 50 miles in it started cutting out again. Brought it home and tore into it again and discovered the issue. Turned out there was a loose connector to the fuel pump relay at the fuse box. If i pressed down on the relay, you could hear it losing connection and it made what sounded like a scratching noise. Pulled the 4 spade connectors out of the fuse box and used some pliers to pinch the connectors back down. Reinstalled everything and went on a ride for about 150 miles and bike ran flawlessly. Hope this may help anyone in the future with the same issue, and thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.