Heard of Cloudy clutch fluid? - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
noahb

Heard of Cloudy clutch fluid?

This was a about a month or so ago no issues now, but...still can't find anything other than moisture on car forums.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1495133500.018506.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	229129

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1495133538.084746.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	229137

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1495133554.619001.jpg
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	229145Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1495133584.838268.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	229153

In the pictures^
Top layer/amber colored: random oil(irrelevant)
Middle layer/green mark: dot4 fluid,
Bottom layer/red mark:sediment from the little flush I did.

Before last winter I cleaned the brake lines/caliper tear down/MC/etc. decided to do clutch line too and flushed both systems. Was great.

then starting this season I noticed the clutch lever was able to "draw towards" the grip a tad bit before I felt any pressure, and it pulled forward in gear while clutch lever was fully depressed. No biggy, flushed it while also not seeing any leaks and pressure is perfect clutch disengages as it should when lever is depressed.

When I did the quick flush, I noticed in the top reservoir as I would pump the lever I'd see a cloud "poof" out into the clear dot4 that was already in the res...that slowed down, but then I noticed the fluid coming out of the bottom would have this sediment sitting at the bottom...

I've read old fluid can cause moisture to build in the oil itself?? Anyway, I know the system was clean and the fluid was new unopened bottles...so... anyone else have this ever happen to them? Is it sign of any corrosion? I'm going to do a complete flush just for the fact I saw sediment in general but...any ideas behind the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
noahb

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1495135583.140587.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	229169
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2017, 03:35 PM
FIREBLADE74

Had this happen on my '76 cb550 when I was flushing/bleeding my brake system. Looking down in the MC as I pumped the brakes I could see a plume of a cloudy substance come through the air hole in the bottom of the cylinder. I kept pumping and it got less and less until it was a really faint trail coming out.

I chalked it up to debris and moisture in the line due to a 41yo bike. brakes are rock solid and the fluid looks good so I don't worry about it much but I do check it often to make sure its not contaminating the good fluid. So far no problems.

Could the dot 4 have been mixed with dot 3? Old brake lines letting moisture thru?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
noahb

Heard of Cloudy clutch fluid?

Thanks for the piece of mind,

Nah the dot 4 bottles were unopened at the time I overhauled them, and I know from the bleeds I've done prior that it was dot 4.
And I wouldn't think that the lines would need replaced, blade has been in a good garage it's whole life with me other than living at an apt, wasn't insulated but still in a garage. Thinking about it...bike is 10 years old now. That's a sad thought.

I'll go over it all again just to make sure there's nothin loose, or misaligned that could be causing some kinda gap
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Jaybird180

Rubber deteriorates over time. I've seen this cloud but not sure what causes it. You and I, my friend are due for line replacements regardless. Nice upgrade and a little bling to go with.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, GP Shift rearsets, GP Suspensions 20mm revalve, Penske 8987 triple clicker (more upgrades in progress)
-2013 CBR250R-ABS (Hers and now SOLD)
-2002 CBR600F4i (Track/Street) (was mine and now hers)
ZG Dbl Bbl, Galfer SS Lines, PC3r, Muzzy s/o, K&N air filter, NRC stator cover, ShiftMinder(WTF?), Fireblade brakes, Gold Rearsets, undercut gears, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Ohlins-Racetech&Showa custom Suspension
Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
noahb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
Rubber deteriorates over time. I've seen this cloud but not sure what causes it. You and I, my friend are due for line replacements regardless. Nice upgrade and a little bling to go with.

Aww...haha I'm a cheap cheap man. I Will have to acknowledge after the bachelor party this weekend

Good lookin out.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2017, 05:39 PM
d207gp_2017
Veteran member

Some think that contaminants migrate through the seals in the clutch slave cylinder and manage to somehow make their way up to the MC. Come to think of it, the slave cylinder does operate in a rather hot and nasty environment down there by the countershaft sprocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page