Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

front disc rotor x2 changing

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jaybird180 
#1 · (Edited)
hi, bike has issue, time to change the front rotor as it feels very rough.

can i check with you, does most superbikes share the same front rotor? are they interchangeable?

whats good if i switch to brembo/ebc?

also whats the difference between brake disc and brake rotor?

also whats the different between 310mm and 320mm rotors?

thinking of buying this
http://www.motosport.com/brembo-hpk-tdrive-front-brake-rotors

is this correct to replace my oe rotor disc? is it safe?

#3 ·
During relatively hard braking, theres a rough grinding sound from the rotor. i'd describe the sound is like as if you are grinding your butt on a sandy floor..

the braking force also isnt as strong as my previous r6 as well, with the same amount of braking force applied.
hence i end up squeezing more on the brake and this often cause me to wobble. (almost hit a car's tail, few months back, just able to stopped the bike tank slapping for like 3 swings. i thought i was gonna fall, but some how i didnt.)

when i touched the 2 front disc, its surface is really rough, my rear one is smooth, nothing like the front

the previous brakepad was used up entirely, and the previous owner didnt changed it. he smoked me out on that point to strike a deal out of me, and i took over the bike without knowing that its brakepad is completely depleted on my bike, as a result, the finished brakepad's metalic surface was biting the front brake for about the first 2500km i rode on the bike, think this cost my disc.

same happened to the rear though, but the rear wheel still smooth and normal to me.

are the brake disc same meaning as rotor?

#4 ·
Typically the rotor and disc are referring to the same thing. On the disc is the carrier which gets bolted to the wheel. The entire assembly is replaced, disc and carrier (aka hub) when they are worn beyond service limits or damaged beyond repair.

You want to replace the correct diameter and offset parts otherwise the caliper and pads won't line up correctly or you'll have to replace them to spec parts that will line up.

For example: 2004/5 Fireblade has 310mm rotors and 2006/7 has 320mm so they won't work properly if interchanged.

Brakes are referred to as a system of parts that all work together to give you the stopping power and feedback for effective braking performance. That system starts with the Master Cylinder and Fluid, the lines, calipers and pads and finally the rotors. You want to ensure that everything is working properly before you change the wrong part.

You didn't post your bike year.

#9 ·
If I were you, I'd buy used oem...they're cheap, just look for those rotors in classified section here or local Craigslists. Don't waste your money on rotors if you haven't upgrade your master cylinder, break lines and break pads. If you can save money by getting the 310mm get that... chances are you're still far from out breaking the rotors (especially if you'd have to ask this question-no offense though, just my .02 cents).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.