Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Car Tire Pressure Sensor to motorcycle?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RCV 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I was about to buy Digital pressure gauge to check my tire pressure but...

then I got an idea... (Not always the best ideas if you ask my wife ;)

So I know there are TPMS for motorcycles but they (usually) are those gaps that you install and then you mount the dash somewhere or hold it on your keychain.. I want to use my Iphone to do that, so I did found this system for cars Orange P418 system

I would only need to install two out of four, and that 12v dongle is not a problem as could rig power under the back seat. problem what I can see is those tire sensors.. as in normally they would sit flat on the tire like this.

And in motorcycle it could not sit like that so would it break off at some point? any ideas?

See less See more
#5 ·
Hit a big enough pothole @ the right time & they'll break. I've seen the same thing on autos with custom wheels. I have seen people lay them flat & silicone them to the wheel. I think there was a model of a Ford that used a giant rubber band to hold them to the wheel. Just trying to throw options out there.

#8 ·
i hear ya..... about the only thing i can think of if you still want to use your original post recommendation, i assume your worried about the electronics breaking off because it will be standing up instead of laying against the wheel due to the differences between auto and bike stem location/position ?? as far as i know, the stem is purely a means of mounting the electronic portion (i.e. pressure sensor/comm chip) so you could remove the stem portion (cut it or remove depending on how it is fastened) then you basically have the electronic module portion which could be mounted independently to the inside of the wheel via a clamp, i've seen it done before, even though not optimal, as long as you balance the wheel and your not worried about adding a bit of extra weight, it will work. (as others mentioned, though, how is the accuracy of the 'low pressure' warning since there is no actual pressure reading, etc... you may want to check that first to see if it is acceptable)....

Attachments

#11 ·
So how did they work out? friend of mine just linked my aukey's and then i found this article. Also wondering how the Tire AIR temp would relate to the tire outter temp so you know when your tires are warm enough to hit the corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.