Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

What is the fireblades best year?

59K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  blade123 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was looking into the different years of the fireblade and wanted to know what you guys think is the best year of the fireblade, and of course why? Lets not take into account the 2017. If you were going to buy a blade today, what year would you be looking at? Newest is best or is it?

Also take into account fault / problems the different years had, like the 08 with oil burning and crank issue.

And just a side question, would you buy a Fireblade today, if not, what would you choose?

Discuss!

#2 ·
1993, 954 (any year), and 08 thru 16 as long as it dont burn oil or have crank issues. I dont think I'd buy a Honda today if I was in the market for a bike. I'd be tempted to buy Aprilia. I've loved the look of the MV Agusta F4 with the square tail pipes. And of course R1 and ZX 10 are better platforms to build off of than Honda.

#3 ·
I really like the Aprilia RSV4RF and the Panigale. Rode the 959 Panigale, and that throttle is just too jerky for my taste unfortunately. Other than that they are great!

The biggest pro Honda has over the competitors is the midrange power, isnt it? Never ridden the ZX10, but they say its all about the top end power. Not very usable on the streets.

Was it only the oil burning / crank problem the new fireblade had? From 2010 and up, they should all be good in that regard?

#8 ·
Best looking I would have to go with the 06-07 model... 929/954 are fun to rip around not to keen on their look but were good bikes for the time.

#12 ·
I agree, it's hard to pick just one year, but I was digging through some of my paperwork from my military days in England, and came across my 1992 FireBlade CBR900RR brochure from the UK. This is the first year for the CBR900, and Honda set the bar for all others to try and catch.

I have owned the following and loved everyone one of them:
CBR250RR Hurricane 1991 (Japan)
CBR400RR 1991(England)
CBR600F2 1994 (England)
CBR929RR 2001(USA)
CBR1000RR 2005 Repsol (USA)
CBR1000RR 2012 20th (USA) Current

Attachments

#14 ·
i went with 2012 + (2013) because of the front shock change up, but now that i have redone everything on the bike... the main thing i wanted was the side exhaust, on my 600 the under the seat exhaust made me smell like exhaust. i do like the looks better of underseat.

#17 ·
I bought my 2004 about 5 years ago and I still think it has real beauty, clean and unfussy lines and the under the seat pipes. Colour scheme is red/blue. The thing is faster than I am and is always exciting to ride. I might just fit riser bars but that's me and not the bike's fault. It's a thing of beauty.

#24 ·
The 08's pug nose "grew" on me. But when the 04 came out, it was a hit as far as looks are concerned right outta the gate. The underseat exhaust is just oh-so-damn sexy. 06/07 was a performance and handling improvement.

The 08+ are somewhat a blur with too many visual similarities through 2016 IMO.

#27 ·
06/07 - Love the performance and looks.
Love my '14 just as much though!

Reactions: noahb
#28 · (Edited)
For whatever reason, there are no Woolich maps on mapshare for the 06-07. There is no Zbomb for the 06-07 so must there is not as much restriction until 2008. 17 model is awesome but I never buy brand new. 04-07 probably best looking?

08 was an important redesign, increased compression, titanium valves, raised redline, lighter pistons frame and wheels, cam assist slipper clutch.

08-11 looks like Toothless the dragon or maybe whale, but the right paint job can help smooth that over. There are fairing kits that convert 08-11 to 12-16.

08-11 has the lightest rims and is the lightest 1000RR until 2017 from what I can tell. 12-16 has a much improved rear shock, but that can be swapped in 30 minutes.

Attachments

#29 ·
I spoke directly with the Woolich guy (via email) and they support the 06/07 but there are very few shops doing maps for them simply because of demand.

I am curious as to if there are gains to be sought. I know I'd like to do the flapper and PAIR mod anyhow. I think I will only NEED it if and when I go full system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.