Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

:( Battery leaked and drained onto shock and swingarm

7K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  Liquid_IQ 
#1 ·
So my new (3 month old) battery decided to leak and drain out through the drain hole onto my shock and swingarm.

FYI, battery acid is good at etching the anodization off of aluminium :/

I have contacted the manufacturer and I'll see what they have to say or what they will do but I am not hopeful in anyway that they will rectify this situation.

#4 ·
It was from Chromebattery.com

I have a few people who I know personally that have used them and had no problems/good luck. The battery worked great, fired the bike up amazingly well and held a charge for a long time even with my alarm system.

Just sucks that Honda made the drain for the battery tray, open right onto the swingarm/shock. I hate engineers sometimes, some of the stupidest smart people.

#23 ·
First of all, the guy mentions Ballistic, not Shorai. Second, I wouldn't believe much of anything that guy wrote... his engine felt "soft" running a Lithium Iron battery? Well that's quantitative. Is he aware of the function of the stator and rectifier? In fact, does he even know anything about electricity at all? Or is all of his opinions based on how his bike "felt" while having a particular battery installed? Gimme a break.

#12 ·
I just looked back through my maintenance records and I installed a Shorai back in April, 2013. I had a problem early on with it when I had put my bike in storage in my basement without connecting it to a trickle charger. The battery was so low it would not even attempt to charge after sitting for several months. I think there was a parasitic draw from the Scorpio alarm, even though it was not armed at the time.

Shorai replaced it for free and I've been connecting it to a dedicated Shorai charger ever since if I am not going to ride again for several days. It has been working fine ever since.

#13 ·
Battery Leakage

I just got my 2013 Blade with only 600 miles on it from some guy. The bike was perfect, except for the thing you mentioned here. It appears the battery leaked and the swingarm paint got a little messed up. I checked the battery and it looks and runs fine, but I'm still gonna upgrade just so it doesn't happen again. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the issue but sad to hear that we have to deal with it in the first place!

#16 ·
Software developers, Phds and Engineers.

Stupidest smart people in the world.

I bought a Honda because I know it will be reliable and I loved the looks. Doesn't mean that some dipshit engineer didn't have a case of unintended consequences when he put the battery drain hole right over the shock and swingarm.

Don't be a dick!

I bought a US made battery that failed. I bought it on a recommendation from someone I know and trust 100%. Any battery can fail I just drew the short straw. Hopefully the manufacturer will help me fix/replace the jacked up parts.

#22 ·
Im with LDH why do people go cheap on things . You buy a $10000 bike yet dont want to spend the extra for somthing that works and is designed by people that know what they are doing . Keep buying them levers from china and wonder why your brakes lock up .

I have had a SpeedCell for years its been in 4 diffrent bikes and sat on a shelf for a year . Even after a year of being on a shelf without any kind of charge put on it it fired up my RC51 like nothing . Yea I spent a good amount on it but you get what you pay for and I dont mind paying for quality. Dont listen to the guys at bike night they dont know shit. Unless your talking about Shinko tires.

#24 ·
1. I wrote that article.

2. I have been dyno tuning bikes for the better part of 3 decades and know when they are soft compared to their natural state which has also lead to me being a professional test rider in the industry.

3. This is a widely known issue in the world of professional tuners and has garnered a lot of attention behind the scenes.

#25 ·
I enjoy coming back and reading this thread. At this point its quite entertaining.

I guess this is what sheeple who watch the Kardashians feel like.

LDH please continue, maybe you will end up in politics one day. Lots of words, not much substance.

"I don't just want to just fix your bike and make it handle better, I want to teach you what I know so that you can learn to address the problems yourself and be able tune your own bike without having to come back to me every time a handling or tire wear issue pops up." From rougeracing website

Your writing leaves a lot to be desired.

#26 ·
No doubt Caitlyn, no doubt...

Seriously though, that website only exists to help others. It is loaded with testing and mods for the early gen CBR's and other bikes as well. No advertising, no sponsors just information for free. If you think it lacks substance then I am sorry, but considering the thousands of hits those pages get every month I would venture to say some people find those pages useful.

#27 ·
I've had good luck with Alien Motion batteries. Not to debate the pros and cons of each, but just relaying my experience. Granted, this is for track only bikes which has the battery disconnected after each weekend, so if you are using it as an everyday rider YMMV. On the flip side, I have also been told by a reputable mechanic that he sticks to lead acid because the lithium ones don't have the cranking power that the lead acid does.

Take it for what it's worth.

#30 ·
I'm actually just here to help by sharing information and pointing out that certain battery choices may not be the wisest choice. Unfortunately this became a teachable moment at the expense of the OP whom I actually feel bad for. I would be pissed beyond belief if that happened to my swingarm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.