Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

acceptable endplay in transmission shafts?

679 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  97grnrs 
#1 ·
i have post on another forum also but havent really found an answer yet, i recently picked up an 04 1000rr, it runs well but the motor is very noisy compared to any other bike ive owned. and ive had 25+ sport bikes over the years. at idle it knocks intermittently and around 4-5k rpm its really sounds crappy. loud ticking type noise . I thought a rod bearing was going bad so i pulled the motor this past week and took it all apart, the motor was spotless inside, no shavings and nothing out of the normal at all. cam guides and chain all look great, i have new cct also , checked valves and all in spec etc. i have an 06 motor on the way but i decided to put this motor back in since it ran great but just was very noisy, especially when hot. the only thing i did find when i had it apart was the transmission shafts and clutch basket have some endplay. no up and down play but they do have a small amount of end play , this may be normal but i def think the knock at idle that i hear is coming from this and maybe even the higher rpm tapping noise. it shifts great and runs great but im looking to see if anyone knows if this endplay is common on the 04 05 motors ? ill post a video of the noise it makes .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.