Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Howdy!

1K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  JBear 
#1 ·
Hey!

Checking in, saying Hi! :)
New owner from Maryland with a yellow 2008 CBR :)

#9 ·
I saw that bike before I bought mine, had a trailer with me and everything but I saw no oil on the dipstick. Nice one. How badly is it burning oil?

#10 · (Edited)
well... sh*t... thanks for pointing that out... wasn't aware of the issue, didn't check when purchased... the guy obviously didn't tell me...
I guess... got to be thankful for your popping in and giving me a heads up... not the best start to the week though...

I'll be carefully monitoring the levels...

:(

#14 ·
I wouldn't worry too much, the bike seemed to be running really well. I would just religiously take care of the bike and manage the oil level. I looked at 5 bikes the day I saw that one, 4 of them had the oil consumption issue. Finally I found an '09 closer to home that didn't have it and I converted it from the black color scheme to the black and yellow. Couldn't be happier. But the one you bought was in AWESOME shape.

Holy crap. So, from 10-26 til yesterday you have never checked the oil? Not good. Based on what the other guy said you might want to start saving money for a replacement engine.
:nerd: A little extreme, or are you being sarcastic? :laugh2:

#13 · (Edited)
I didn't ride it that much yet since i got it... around 100-120 miles maybe. Optimistically hopeful there wasn't any damage done.

Welcome aboard. Here's a link to d/l the '08 factory service manual.

08 CBR1000RR Service Manual
Thanks for the link! Edit: actually... the link in that thread is dead? Edit2: nevermind - found a working link...

#18 ·
I think you'll be fine man. The owner seemed a little shady but not that bad, I really don't think you got a bad deal at all overall even at asking price.

#19 ·
:nerd: A little extreme, or are you being sarcastic? :laugh2:[/QUOTE]

Yeh, I guess I was being a little extreme, and no, I wasnt being sarcastic. Keep an eye on the oil level, monitor it closely and if its burning a quart or so every couple hundred miles or so................start saving for a replacement engine, or a rebuild or sell the bike.

#20 ·
I lucked out big time, I've put about 500 miles on mine since I got it, dipstick reads full still :D.

#21 ·
Changed the oil last night - there were almost 2.5 quarts iof oil n the engine that poured out. So I'd guess it wasn't all that bad after all.
Took it for a ride - felt quite a bit more trigger-happy. Guessing that oil hasn't been changed for a while.

Carefully monitoring it from this time on :cool:
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Upright, although rear wheel was on a stand (elevated)
After putting in the new oil, checked with the bike on the ground, upright - was 3/4 towards the full mark. Took it to work today, will check once I get back home (~70 miles all in all) if it moves any. Haven't seen blue smoke, and couldn't smell burnt oil - if it smells any like automotive burnt oil which i'm well familiar with ;)

#23 ·
I couldn't understand what the seller was saying when I went to see it, he said it was serviced, but he hadn't done an oil change, but I believe he had an oil change done during the service. My assumption is you're burning at a normal rate for these engines, .5-1qt per 1000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.