We lost a rider Saturday - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
ICE RACER

We lost a rider Saturday

Saturday at NOLA we lost a rider. In the advanced group shortly after lunch, 2 riders went into turn one and collided. I didn't see the misfortune, I was about 10 seconds behind them. My go pro footage only shows the carnage when I passed the scene. The track was shut down for about a hour and a half. There was a mandatory riders meeting afterwards. The track day organizers had to remind everyone that its a trackday, not qualifying for racing. There had been numerous wrecks that day, and the organizers made it clear that the next person to go down was gonna be the last. The track would be shut down for the remainder of the day.
Please, when your running on the track, remember that it's not a race, it's just a day to spend on the track working on your skills. We all want to run fast, but when you come by someone whos not carrying the speed you are, things can get ugly real fast. Being in the advanced group doesn't reflect how fast you are, it reflects how safe, smooth, and predictable you are. For the safety of yourself and all other riders, if you really want to test your full capabilities, get your race liscense and take it to the races where that speed and aggressive riding is to be expected.
Lastly, my condolences to the family that lost a loved one. My prayers are with you. Ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Garage
A 44-year-old Houston man was killed in a motorcycle accident Saturday at NOLA Motorsports Park in Avondale, officials said.

Jesus Martinez was riding a motorcycle on a track at the park when he crashed with another rider and was ejected, Jefferson Parish Coroner Dr. Gerry Cvitanovich said Sunday.

Martinez was taken to University Medical Center for treatment but was pronounced dead Saturday night.

A statement from NOLA Motorsports Park CEO Frank Christian said medical and rescue personnel responded quickly when the two riders collided about 2:30 p.m. near the first turn of the track.

Martinez was participating in what is called an open track day, for which motorcyclists pay a fee to ride at the park.

"NOLA Motorsports Park offers its deepest sympathies and condolences to the family of the rider," Christian said. "They will be in our thoughts and prayers."

The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said it couldn't immediately comment on the accident because it occurred on a privately owned racetrack.

According to Cvitanovich, Saturday's death was the first fatal crash at the 750-acre NOLA Motorsports Park since it opened five years ago.

Cvitanovich said the park has comprehensive safety protocols that the facility has previously reviewed with the Coroner's Office, and all indications were that Martinez's death was an accident.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...ign=user-share

25th Anniversary Edition CBR1000S1 Hurricane
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 PM
motorcycle01

Rip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 PM
max2010

Rip
post #5 of 10 Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM
seanranger3

RIP
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 07:46 AM
HMAN
Blue Devil

Garage
R.I.P.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 01:35 PM
RCV

RIP. These accidents are so sad. They also scare me as I am about to begin racing this year. Any idea of the safety circumstances regarding the crash? Was there adequate run off? Was it simply the collision that took his life? Big speed disparity?

I don't mean to poke at the situation in a sensitive time. Just trying to better understand how to keep myself and others safe.

2014 1000RR race bike in progress.. Build Thread: RCV's Race Bike
post #8 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 02:38 PM
PuffTheMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV View Post
RIP. These accidents are so sad. They also scare me as I am about to begin racing this year. Any idea of the safety circumstances regarding the crash? Was there adequate run off? Was it simply the collision that took his life? Big speed disparity?

I don't mean to poke at the situation in a sensitive time. Just trying to better understand how to keep myself and others safe.
I think these are appropriate questions to be asked and learned from given the situation.

Motorcycles are just like women. They're moody and mysterious, they require a lot of maintenance, and you want to ride them all.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV View Post

This was an advanced level class. The crash happened in turn one and they were probably trying to occupy the same space. The contact probably caused a high side and the rider had a bad landing.

25th Anniversary Edition CBR1000S1 Hurricane
post #10 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 04:40 PM
mrstott

Garage
Very sad.. very scary. RIP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page