Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Dunlop Q3's or Bridgestone S21's ?

86K views 125 replies 39 participants last post by  Mike713 
#1 ·
Haven't been able to find any reviews on the Bridgestone S21's and I've always run the Q3's on my CBR 600rr and now on my CBR 1000rr, and I absolutely love them. My only complaint is I burn through the rear like crazy, but I know it's a soft compound and where I live it's pretty hot, so it comes with the territory. I'm ready for new rubber and curious as to others opinions and comments regarding comparison of the two tires [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I'm a huge Q3 person!!! I have used 4 sets on my 600RR I just picked up a 1000RR the other day and has these tires. I road on a canyon here in Cali very sporty turns. These seem to be as good if not better than the Q3's they get VERY sticky!! They are a harder compound so they should last longer than Q3's which was my biggest complaint with the Q3's. However one thing I dont like is when leaned over I get a uncomfortable feeling like I can't lean the bike over more without losing traction... Hard to describe but it feels like I'm riding on the edge of the tire even though I know I am not. However I haven't checked the tire pressure since I bought the bike so next time I do a canyon that is one thing I will check. I also found a couple of reviews on Revzilla.

Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21 Rear Tires - RevZilla

#46 ·
Hi Mike, Which tire are you talking about that makes you feel uncomfortable in the lean? It's unclear to me whether you're talking about the Q3 or the S21 Battlax.

#12 ·
My only complaint is I burn through the rear like crazy, but I know it's a soft compound and where I live it's pretty hot, so it comes with the territory. I'm ready for new rubber and curious as to others opinions and comments regarding comparison of the two tires [emoji41]

Odd, a buddy says the exact opposite, that he burns thru the Q3 rear tires, but the S21s hold up much better for him.

what PSI are you running?

the S21s are about $50 cheaper (a set) than the Q3s, so I will probably try a set out some time. I am easy on tires though. I usually run 32F/34R all year around.

#16 ·
I have s20's on my cbr900. I got q3s on my 1k. I never noticed a problem with tar snakes when crossing them in a turn at an intersection on my 900. On the q's I felt slippage. But. ...I think they may not have been broken in, idk. I liked the s20s better now that I have some mileage on my q3s . Just felt more glued to the road. And that's on the older s20

#17 ·
I've never ridden on the S20's before, but I too have experienced slipping at times when cornering on the Q3's . The S21's have a more stiff feel in corners at speed. I do think the Q3's have a smooth feel to them and allow for less effort in transitioning from corner to corner in twisties.

#18 · (Edited)
S21s if you want a little extra mileage. Q3s if you really like getting in in the corners.

I don't like the feel of the s21s and will be going back to the q3

I'd say the s21 is better on the street 90% and in the rain

Q3 is better pushing, had more feed back and is better suited for trackdays..the edge feel and control is the difference

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#19 ·
1000 miles deep on mine now all canyon riding.. I have more confidence in these tires now I have had them leaned over almost to the full max. Feedback isn't as bad as I originally complained not sure if I got use to it or what haha. I'm still in judging mode however I might switch over to these from the dunlop.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Yeah it's funny, I felt the same way when I first got the S21's, I was like " Damn these feel funny " .. Hahaha. Now it's all out beast mode . [emoji41] Even added a touch of paint to spice it up a bit ( Not that that matters as far as handling ) ..just had to throw that in .. haha. I'm sure I'll notice more as I rack up more miles.

#25 ·
Since getting the S21's I've put over 3000 miles on them ... No complaints, definitely a different feel from the Q3's now that I'm fully adjusted to them I'm hooked, I know many will be like WHAT ? ? but I like the feel better than the Dunlops. I've had no issues with grip and I'm not burning through these like I do on the Q3's, obviously since the Q3's are a softer compound.

#26 ·
Considering I can get a set of these from a local cycle gear for $159, I will try them out, thanks for the review.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2WheelsOnly
#38 ·
My local CG in camp hill, pa has Bridgestone S21's for $160 per set.

#41 ·
Just bought a set of the BS S21's unfortunately I currently have a Continental waiting to be installed and a half life front so I won't be testing them until next riding season most likely. But $160 I couldn't beat the deal!

#43 ·
Stock size for the CBR is 190/50/17 that's what I have always been getting.

#45 ·
I bought my bike with 4500 miles from a guy that had recently installed new q3's I just changed them out for the s21's. Got close to 3k out of them. The rear was right to the wear indicator, but the front still looked round and good. I was getting a lot of vibration/head shake in the front end throughout the life of the tires. Towards the end it got worse. I tried different pressures. I usually run 36/38. I had it rebalanced. I even talked to the dealer about loose steering bearings being a possibility (but with only 5k?). So, I have read about having a bad tire before. Decided Ill put the new SET (not just a rear) on and see what happens. Voila! problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.