Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2007 1000 overheat only at idle

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  4ast4orward 
#1 ·
Only overheats at idle, once I start to ride temp goes normal. But stopping at light rises again. Fan turns on and coolant level ok... any suggestions on problem??

#4 ·
I used to have that issue too mainly in traffic and got a muzzy fan and it stopped after that. I did a radiator pressure test and it all was fine and had no leaks anywhere which is what id check first and snugged all the hose clamps. The muzzy fan it says on the website last I looked that they only make one for the 04-05 model but if you bend the fins slightly outward it works perfect on the 06-07 model. Worth a shot!

#5 ·
The problem is it just started, I cannot leave the bike to idle at all, I start it in garage and just leave it sit and it overheats. In order for me to prevent overheat (light) bike would have to be moving. No obstructions on fina of radiator or fan, spins fine with no kind of resistance

#6 ·
In my own experience.....Air trapped in the cooling system. Try to burp it properly. Let the engine idle till 180F (thermostat opens) and give it 3 good engine revs (leave the radiator cap open) and top up the coolant, and see if it'll over heat still. Hope this'll help :).

#11 · (Edited)
My cousin's RR had that happen and it turned out there was a small leak in the radiator. even with the coolant at a normal level, air may be seeping into the system. with the engine running, look for wet spots along the front and back of the rad. check hoses for leaks and tightness. check your thermostat housing and water pump area.

a really bad scenario could be a leaking head gasket where it's just slight enough to cause overheating but not a noticeable issue while riding. My cousin's rad leak eventually led to a blown head gasket due to overheating, so even after the rad leak was fixed, another problem had been created.

I think if I were experiencing this and had some free cash I'd look into upgrading all the hoses to silicone hoses (E bay), buying a comparable thermostat from autozone (cheaper than Honda dealer), replacing the radiator cap, and adding all new coolant. Maybe a new or used water pump as well. You could probably do it all for $200 in parts. If it's just a matter of burping the system, then I'd save the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.