Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Sport Touring/Adventure Touring?

4K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  korie 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at getting a sibling for my CBR, and I've narrowed down my choices to either a '12 Kawi Concours or a '13 Tiger Explorer fitted with fog lights, heated grips, panniers, etc. (This one's a demo that a shop owner took cross country).

Basically, I'd like to have a second bike more suited to 2-up riding/longer distance riding.

Aside from the obvious price difference, I was hoping to get all of your thoughts. Impressions on either bike? I have ridden the Triumph, but I have not demoed a Connie.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I also have an '08 FJR and an '09 ZX-14. I think a sport tourer is a great companion to the CBR.

I test rode a Tiger once and thought it was OK but I was not crazy about it. I LOVE the engine on my ZX-14 and I think the Connie would be similar but I have not ridden one.

The Connie has a shaft drive and the Tiger is chain.

Yamaha upgraded the FJR for 2013, there should be great deals on left over '12 models. I think the FJR is similar to the Connie. I think the Connie and the FJR would be better choices than the Tiger for two up riding, the Tiger is a 1050cc engine. Triumph has announced a new 2013 sport touring bike with shaft drive and cruise control, I don't remember what they call it, I think it's a 1250 cc engine.

#4 ·
Sport Touring

I have a 1050 Tiger with bags that I use for touring. The 1050 has all the power that I need; but I usually travel without a co-rider. the Tiger is quite comfortable, smooth (3 cylinder), and gets surprisingly good mileage. Speaking of touring, I once rode my CBR (a 900 at the time) from Portland, OR to Caba San Lucas and back. With HELI bars and soft luggage It's not a bad tourer.

Bill

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies- Keep 'em coming!

The "new" Tiger is the one I'm looking at- It has the 1215cc engine, as well as the electronic cruise control (one thing the Connie does not).

I have the soft luggage (tank bag, saddlebags, and tail pack) and helibars on my CBR as well- Works o.k. for me, but it's not ideal for 2-up mode.

#6 ·
Triples are schweet. Get the Tiger.

#8 ·
I owned and did several 1000+ mile trips on an FJR and it was a great bike for 2up and touring in general. I did get a chance to ride a Tiger 1050 and it was quite an impressive machine as well. If I was going for one over the other and 2up comfort was priority, it would be the FJR again. Solo though, the Tiger is quite a ride.

The guy that let me ride his Triumph was actually interested in trading for my FJR because he wanted to be able to take some longer trips with his wife so the two of them would be more comfortable.

Josh

#15 ·
The new Tiger also has shaft drive, and as you noted already, it has cruise control.

Cruise control is GREAT, I can't say enough about it. I had a BMW k bike sport tourer with CC and I installed a sophisticated, electronic CC on my FJR. To me, this is indispensable for touring. And, once you have it, you'll use it all the time on the way to the twisties.

#17 ·
The cruise control is the main feature pushing me toward the Tiger. O.k., that and the fact that it has more outward personality (At least to me). That said, I'm not sure if it warrants the $4K price difference between it and the Connie.

Ugh. I just need to make up my mind. I'm going to go look at both again tomorrow and try to make a decision.

#18 ·
$4K difference in price? Wow! I find motorcycles are visceral things, when I find myself in a position like yours now, I go with the gut. A logical analysis of the situation does not satisfy my gut, but my gut can convince my mind. Good luck and may the best bike win!

#21 ·
Yep. I think that's where this is headed. I like the Throttlemeister on the CBR, and it should perform at least as well on the Kawa. I've found a new '12 in the color I want for $14,100 OTD. The thing that really bothers me about the Tiger is that the it is essentially a used/demo bike (The owner took it on a little 1800 mile jaunt after fitting it with all of the aftermarket goodies). They aren't coming down on the price enough for it to be a "can't pass up" kind of deal.

If this works out, I'll post up a pick of the CBR and the Connie when I get her home!

#24 ·
I'm in the same boat. I rode a BMW K1600GTL (yuck), and the Concours. The Concours is excellent. I need to ride a K1600GT, and possibly the "new" FJR (which also has cruise control, btw). And after the new year, Yamaha is releasing another version of the FJR with an electronic suspension, much like the BMW. I have no desire for the Triumph, it's set more to compete with the BMW RT (i.e. more touring than sport).

So far I'm leaning toward the Concours, based on price/performance/value. I absolutely loved my test ride on it.

I also want to get a Honda CB1100, just to support the air-cooled naked/standard bike community. I'll see if I can swing both; the Concours makes that eminently more possible than the BMW or Triumph.

#28 ·
I sold everything at dealerships I've worked for and ridden everything under the sun. For sport touring you have a ton of options. The FJR, Concourse, and ST1300 are the only 3 I would recommend. My local sheriffs department rides the ST's I set them up with and they love them. Comes stock with removable hard bags, ABS, and electric windshield which is nice. Or you could flip everything on its head and take a look at the new winger F6B that Honda is debuting next year, even though that's probably not sporty enough for what you want. You can't beat Honda reliability. My vote would be the ST1300.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 · (Edited)
My 2 cents:

Having owned a c-14 for 4 years and 45,000 miles and working at a Triumph dealer for the last 5 years, I can give you my experience.

The Connie was bought for the long rides w/Mrs, and has done this well. I can drag the footpegs, out run my friends when I want, and just cruise in comfort. For a large bike it handles well, and will surprise you at how fast you are really going. The only issues with the Connie are the valve adjustments ( a nightmare because the tank does not come off, you access from the side with very little clearance). Also @ 40,000 the rear wheel bearing failed, a $350 repair using used parts for everything but the bearings.

As for the Triumphs. The Tigers are adventure bikes. They run great, handle as well as the Connie, but lack the protection of the fairings. This is important to me for the 500 mile days as I feel less fatigued at the end of the day, and if the weather gets bad...boy what a difference the fairing makes. But the Triumph you want to wait for arrives this January. The new Trophy will have it all, complete with touring bags, fairings, adjustable windscreen, cruise control, and more. If it runs like the 1200 tiger, I think it will be replacing my Connie when the time comes. I can tell you Triumph treats their customers a hell of allot better than Kawasaki, and this is from personal experience! The triple engine is the best choice for sport touring, a ton of mid range and a lineal power band. Not to mention very smooth.

You really can't go wrong with any sport tourer, just get what fits you best.

#32 ·
The new Trophy will have it all, complete with touring bags, fairings, adjustable windscreen, cruise control, and more. If it runs like the 1200 tiger, I think it will be replacing my Connie when the time comes. I can tell you Triumph treats their customers a hell of allot better than Kawasaki, and this is from personal experience! The triple engine is the best choice for sport touring, a ton of mid range and a lineal power band. Not to mention very smooth.
The Trophy's MSRP is like $6k more than the Connie from what I read and at that point you might as well consider getting the BMW K1600GT. I haven't ridden it but it seemed like the Trophy was aiming to compete with the K1600GTL and Goldwing.

#33 ·
i picked up the Yamaha Super Tenere' and i could not be happier with my decision. i have dragged toe quite a few times and i have drifted out the rear tire at full lean as well in full comfort. no joke.

it is not the strongest engine nor is it the fastest bike, but this thing cruises and is VERY reliable. also, like Honda, it is very easy to find a shop that can and will work on these as well as getting parts is going to be cheaper and quicker if it ever did break down.

i had a Triumph Daytona for about a year before i got the Tenere'. i loved that bike, but honestly i rarely saw people getting over 20k before an engine blow. i know that there are some with more mileage, but mostly there are people saying the same things you hear about the bmw and ducati's- that they have character.

when i buy a vehicle of any kind i ultimately want one that WORKS. of course i want the fun that they offer as well, but it is no fun waiting for a part to get in and then finally be fixed a month or two later. yes- Triumphs do take that long to get parts in for. i do not want that kind of character in a vehicle that i own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.