Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2012+ gold valve kits?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TheBigBankHank 
#1 ·
Been looking at suspension options for the 2012. I keep going back to Race Techs options. Should I go ahead and make the investment for the gold valve kits front and rear with springs or a regular kit from them. I've heard a lot of feedback from dirt bike racers that say the gold valve kits are for adjustability. Also for my weight it says the front springs aren't that much off but the rear is definitely way off... Also are the gold valve kits easy to install or should I just stick to taking it to a shop? Anyone out there running race tech bits on a 2012+??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
#4 ·
I have the Gold Valves in the front and rear suspension of my '11 and it absolutely transformed the handling. With the later technology forks and shock of the '12 and later bikes it should be great as well.

#5 ·
At Mr305, how'd it transform it? And do you ride street/ track? All of my miles so far are street but I want to do a track day on her in the future. I mainly run the back roads though.

#6 ·
I haven't done a track day with the CBR, but the suspension is much better controlled. I have an RC51 that I do track days with and I have the suspension set up on the CBR to be as close to the RC as I could get, so I had it set up pretty stiff. The stock suspension was under-damped and too soft for my 210 lbs. With the Gold valves, I can make small adjustments and can tell the difference. I had to make large adjustments to be able to feel any difference with the stock components, but I could never get it to work like I wanted. I couldn't justify spending the money for Ohlins components and the Gold Valves are pretty good bang for the bucks.

#7 ·
#9 ·
@africaguide. I got the specs from the calculator on exactly what parts I need. Mainly looking for riders that have done the gold valve kits on their 2012s. Haven't heard of anyone doing it just yet

#10 ·
I've gotten a little closer to my answer... The rear shocks have to be sent it to be done by racetech. The front bpf can be done locally though... Not sure if the gold valve and racetech spring is the best option. I think I'll spend just a bit more on the rear and look into a penske solution or another brand aftermarket shock

#11 ·
Hey BBH, I know this is an old thread but just wanted to see if you pulled the trigger on the Racetech set up. I was going to let you know how great they are to deal with . I picked up a GS3 off ebay and sent it to them to be resprung and refreshed they called and asked me a few questions then a few days later the called to let me know it was ready and they were sending it out and I also got a free shirt . Who doesnt like free shirts.

#12 · (Edited)
^^^ I just happen to know this guy here lol funny to see you on here man. Honestly BBH if that is you in the pic there. Getting sprung to your weight will make a huge difference. Asking what you will notice is very subjective. My last two bikes have been done to my weight but my new one hasn't I notice it right away the difference. How the bike wants to squat and push the back end out getting on the gas coming out of a turn and the front becomes light. Also finding uneven sections of the road are addressed without concern but my "set" suspension handles the bumps fine where as my stock bike reacts. hope that helps

by the way im a large guy and do track and street riding. getting the right springs and settings is the way to go.

#13 ·
I found some options for used rear shocks. I plan on getting a used one soon throwing it on and sending off my stocker to race tech. I dont want any downtime... For the riding I do and the trackday plans i've got, i'll get it resprung and revalved and keeping the used one. The gold valve setup sounds like a good way to go. I also received some information about another suspension company in california that some sponsored ducati guys referred me to. I plan on doing plenty of research before i pull the trigger on investing in a suspension shop. I'll keep everyone posted though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.