Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

HESD Feels Strange

7K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  TedEbear 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but after riding my new 2008 CBR 1000RR the past couple days I found that the HESD feels very strange. On local roads, it feels as though the bike is making the handle bars steer into the turn rather than just stiffen the handle bars. I have to actively put a lot of force against it so that I can counter steer and lean into the turn rather than letting the bike turn the wheel so that I go through the turn like a car.

When I reach highway speed of 50+ I find that the HESD responds more predictably and I can lean a lot easier however, it is still a little strange because sometimes I'll get that resistance again which fights my counter steer, trying to make my wheel turn into the turn once again. I'm not sure if this makes sense.

Basically the bike feels like it has a mind of its own. I'm trying to counter steer and lean the bike into a turn but the bike is basically saying "no, I'm going to steer your wheel into the turn for you so you can stay upright through the turn." This makes it so I have to put a lot of extra effort to make the bike do what I want it to do.

This is my first time ever riding with an electronic steering damper so maybe it just takes getting used to. I come from Yamaha where I installed the traditional Ohlins rod and piston type damper on my R6 as well as my R1. I've never had a problem with those dampers because the dampers were predictable. They made the steering stiffer rather than guide my wheel like the HESD seems to be doing.

I checked to see if maybe this was being caused by flat spots on my tire but that didn't seem to be the issue. I was wondering if anyone else was also experiencing this with the HESD. I've only read that the HESD was too stiff when going fast on the tracks but I haven't seen anyone bringing up the issue of difficult slow speed maneuvering with the HESD.

Sidenote: I'm planning to swap out the HESD for a manual damper like the Hyperpro RSC or the GPR if this issue is normal but I wasn't able to find any real reviews of the GPR or RSC for 2008+ cbr 1000s so would anyone have any recommendations? Has GPR fixed the issue of the leaking gasket finally? Also, would anyone know if the kits provide a solution for the service light when removing the HESD?

Thanks for any input!

See less See more
#7 ·
The tires look to be in good shape. Running power pures with approximately 500 miles on them. I didn't get a chance to check the tire pressure but I believe it's within spec but I could be wrong (when going lock to lock at a stop, it does feel a tiny bit heavier than normal). I tried maneuvering on all roads throughout my 150 mile journey so I don't think the road is the issue and as far as I know there isn't any damage to the bike.

#5 ·
It definitely feels like I'm fighting the bike. I want to lean but the bike wants to steer seems to be the issue. I've never had this problem before with any of my other bikes which is strange. I tried doing a few slow speed U turns by attempting to lean the bike and counterbalancing to tighten up the turn which I am usually able to do very easily on my R1 but I found that I had to fight the CBR to do it. The CBR really wanted to stay upright and just steer through the turn which I find unnatural.

#6 ·
That actually reminds me that the tires that I'm currently running is stock in the front and 190/55 in the rear. I come from 190/50 on the R1. The front is the same as far as I know. Could the rear tire be affecting the slow speed maneuvering?

#10 ·
Hmmm so I guess replacing the HESD for an aftermarket linear damper wouldn't change that. Even though the profile of the front tire is the same, the larger rear profile will affect the front tire wanting to "steer" into the turn? It's just such a strange feeling steering the bike like an ATV at 15 mph rather than leaning it. Feels like I'm gonna fall towards the outside of the turn.

#11 ·
Your aftermarket dampner is always on, so the resistance you feel always available at any speed. Hesd only works at high speed. So you just do not used to hesd, give it a time, might change your mind.

Who ride sport bikes at 15 mph? So yeah the faster the better.

Actually with oem clip ons it does felt really awkward on low speed. After aftermarket clip ons and rearsets, it helps a lot

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Lol can't be racing through parking lots. During my 3 hr ride today, I got used to the highway dampening and was slowly getting used to the low speed input as well but I still felt very uncomfortable on it at the end of the ride. Think it's just gonna take some seat time till I can flick the bike around like I'm able to with my R1. Wish there was someone in NY that could take my bike for a test ride to see if there's anything abnormal about my bike.

#22 ·
did you just buy the bike? is the HESD system new to you? i noticed when i got my first bike with HESD ('05 CBR1000RR) i was out of riding for a couple of month, my tires were slightly worn down and underpressured and i blamed it on the HESD. then i bought a new set and at the proper pressure and it was a world of difference. that and it took a little getting used to. its like you lean in for a turn and try to countersteer but it feels like the HESD is fighting you, so you try and follow it and it suddenly feels like its trying to steer your bars into the turn.

#23 ·
Yeah this is my first time riding honda. I just bought the bike and the honda chassis and HESD are completely new to me. What you explained is exactly what I'm experiencing. I would normally countersteer but the bike is fighting me and wanting to steer into the turn instead. So I relax and stop fighting the bike's input and I notice the handlebars are basically at full lock and my bike is upright through the turn. I'm gonna check the tire pressure next time to see if that's the issue. Hoping it's that simple

#27 ·
I'm actually not sure right now. I really want to know myself as well but the bikes at a friends garage across town in storage so that I don't get tempted during finals week to mess around with the bike instead of studying.

#31 ·
Soooo I finally took my bike back from my friend's garage yesterday and before leaving, I checked the tire pressure hoping that would be the problem. The pressure read 16 psi.. I filled it up to 26 because I was using a manual pump and couldn't get the pressure higher than that and it rode almost perfectly. Didn't feel 100% yet but I'm sure if I get it to 32 or so it'll be perfect. Guess I rode the bike 160 miles in the rain with low front tire pressure when I picked up the bike. Not the safest thing. Accidently overlooked checking the tire pressure before the long ride. Well I'm glad it was a simple fix and the blade feels good now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.