Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Easy Fork seal method?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TedEbear 
#1 ·
Is there a way to remove the bottom end (axle holder) of a 2008 front fork? Having to remove the whole fork from the bike and take the entire fork apart to change the seal and dust boot seems ridiculous.

#2 ·
may be possible, but it'll be more work than its worth leaving the fork on the bike. Working with the forks is a tedious process and best done taking the forks off the bike. Either way, when you reassemble the fork, you need to pump the air out of the fork which would be very difficult to do on the bike with the weight of the bike.

Reactions: frankie69
#3 ·
Perfectly willing to take fork off. I see no reason to completely disassemble the whole damn fork just to replace the seal. I've not seen any diagrams that show how the rebound damping setscrew is connected to everything else, so taking the axle holder off might be very complicated.

Anyone???

#4 ·
have a close look through the service manual. It's available if you search the site, if you can't find it, let me know.

If you do change the seals, its a good idea (since you're in there anyways) to disassemble the complete fork and clean it. A lot of crap gets in there if you do track/hard riding. You also get a chance to inspect the internals, last time around I found a teflon bushing that was worn which would have eventually caused a full fork lock up. Its time consuming, but nice to know everything is in good working order.

If you take the forks off, just loosen the top of the fork caps 1 rotation before taking the forks off the bike. Its hard to hold the forks to get the cap off. I suggest a vice with shop towels.

Here's an old post of how to get the lock nut off the forks to beak it apart:

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/1882731-post33.html

Reactions: Sskvara1
#5 ·
leaky forkseal

my son's 2000 cbr929 developed a bad seal leak, dropping oil all over the disc and pads. i bought a "seal doctor" by Rhino about $30 on ebay. fixed the leak perfectly in less than 10minutes did the other fork as well easy. i'm sold, did the dirt bikes as well. have lent it to the fellas at work as well. best money spent this year, they come in 2 sizes, so measure and buy.

Rhino Seal Doctor DR Fork Seal Cleaner Saver Motorbike Large OR Small Sizes | eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.