Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

rear shock

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DaRooster 
#1 ·
picked up a brand new 2014 rear shock off ebay awhile ago. planned on having it all redone with racetech springs ect.. Im 215lbs stock spring is 12mm recommended for my weight would be about 12.08mm.. i do mostly aggressive street riding mountains ect dont plan on doing more than 5 track days a year.
my question is, with this setup would their be much a difference to buy a whole new race tech shock penske ect or would their be not that much of a difference for what im using it for.. is this a good route? also going to have my mechanic do my forks as well

#9 ·
If i was you i would send and email to brad first. He can probably offer somethig new close to what you would pay for an used one.
I installed a 2013 shock on my 2008 thinking that i could get a "cheap ohlins" after respringing it.

Even though it worked better than the horrible OEM 2008 shock, at the track that thing was cooked after a few laps. I ended up respringing it. Noticeable improvement but still suboptimal. In retrospect i think i would have been better off buying a used ohlins or racetech (less time spent dialing and testing and a couple hundred bucks difference).

Mine was a trackbike, so comfort was never high on the list...

#10 · (Edited)
Yeah I've been talking to a guy around where I live he owns a store, is an instructor for Fasttrack riders, and the Dunlop tire representative for all their events. He's been helping me sort out what I can do for my budget which is not big enough even for even a decent used ohlins. I've tried picking his brain a bit so I can try and learn something too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.