061Krr Suspension- Spend my Money - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 38 Old 02-08-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180

061Krr Suspension- Spend my Money

Iím thinking about what I want to do to the suspension of my 06 1krr. My last round of suspension upgrades was on my 02 F4i and I was satisfied. I got a great deal on an Ohlins shock and Racetech compression Gold Valve kit and I got the forks done by Ed of Trackside Engineering. Ed put in some RT 1.0 springs and a GSXR Showa rebound valve with a custom shim stack. I did minor tweaks from where it was set when he sent it to me and Iíve never had a problem with the front end, except for when I let a hack twiddle with it at a trackday a couple years ago. I sent that Ohlins shock to Dan Kyle and he resprung it and sent it back to me. If an old email properly documents the situation, altogether including having a Honda dealer install a new swingarm thrown in the Ohlins deal was about $1,400.

I got my 1krr in July 2016 and Iíve had some teething pains with it, but thanks to my good buddy Will I was able to make at least 1 trackday weekend at the end of the 2016 season, and Iím happy about that. Will changed out the fork seals due to them leaking and I forgot to ask him what oil he used .

Sadly Iíve never set sag on the 1k or turned any suspension knobs (I do think I know what Iím doing) because I wanted to see what was there based on feel/ performance, etc and I felt that the bike performed consistently on the street and track- canít say the same for her pilotís track manners.

Only undesirable track behavior I noticed was an occasional tendency to feel vague and/or to feel like itís pushing the front in T5 at NCBike, which is a long sweeping left- a keyhole actually. There were also a couple instances of feeling a reluctance to steer in a couple corners.

I suspect that my 215lbs was too much for the rear end of the bike (at whatever setting itís at) and a rear loaded geometry and insufficient throttle roll-on in T5 to get the bikeís rear to anti-squat could explain the handling ďissuesĒ.

To remedy, I plan to first take some measurements and see if my hypothesis hold true, then Iíve narrowed down my selections of parts to throw at the bike. Iíve decided that a revalve/ respring fits within my budget, riding intentions (1-mostly street; I like to commute to work and attend the occasional social event and 2- I would like to do a few more trackdays; I have 4 school days already booked for 2017 May) and the fact that I want bang for the buck and the engineering side of me knows that a name and label donít come with PixieDustô (LoL).

Iíve narrowed down the choices to either Racetech to do the front and rear or GP Suspensions for the same. I havenít done a price comparison, hoping and believing they would both be in the same ballpark and $100 shouldnít sway me too much. Iíve gotten a knowledgeable 3rd party recommendation towards GP and that I shouldnít need front springs with their setup.

I was interested in your guysí thoughts. More importantly, for those that have read this far, Iíd like to hear from those that have done both or either on the K6/7 Fireblade and their subjective opinions. Iíd also like some subjective opinions about the customer experiences of dealing with either or both.

Thank you

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, GP Shift rearsets, GP Suspensions 20mm revalve, Penske 8987 triple clicker (more upgrades in progress)
-2013 CBR250R-ABS (Hers and now SOLD)
-2002 CBR600F4i (Track/Street) (was mine and now hers)
ZG Dbl Bbl, Galfer SS Lines, PC3r, Muzzy s/o, K&N air filter, NRC stator cover, ShiftMinder(WTF?), Fireblade brakes, Gold Rearsets, undercut gears, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Ohlins-Racetech&Showa custom Suspension
Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

I can make them better than anything else ever marketed to the consumer for the 04-07 1000RR when it was in its prime and give you the ability to correct the geometry as well, but it doesn't come cheap...

Without trying to sound like an elitist prick, you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to motorcycle suspension. If you want to spend a little you will get a little improvement in return.

If you want to spend a lot you will never have a need for more performance out of the suspension, but you have to decide how much improvement you want. It's your bike and your money, but what you are really getting for the price paid is a greater margin of safety and a larger margin of error so you can ride faster with less drama.
post #3 of 38 Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180

I'm interested to see if you're in the financial league I'm playing in. Otherwise, I'm open to what you have to say.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, GP Shift rearsets, GP Suspensions 20mm revalve, Penske 8987 triple clicker (more upgrades in progress)
ZG Dbl Bbl, Galfer SS Lines, PC3r, Muzzy s/o, K&N air filter, NRC stator cover, ShiftMinder(WTF?), Fireblade brakes, Gold Rearsets, undercut gears, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Ohlins-Racetech&Showa custom Suspension

Last edited by Jaybird180; 02-08-2017 at 04:55 PM.

post #4 of 38 Old 02-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Bosarge22
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I can make them better than anything else ever marketed to the consumer for the 04-07 1000RR when it was in its prime and give you the ability to correct the geometry as well, but it doesn't come cheap...

Without trying to sound like an elitist prick, you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to motorcycle suspension. If you want to spend a little you will get a little improvement in return.

If you want to spend a lot you will never have a need for more performance out of the suspension, but you have to decide how much improvement you want. It's your bike and your money, but what you are really getting for the price paid is a greater margin of safety and a larger margin of error so you can ride faster with less drama.
This reminds me Mike, I think its near time to send my Ohlin forks and shock to you for some TLC.

To the OP, like Mike said, you get what you pay for, do it right the first time. Best money spent. Forget bling, engines mods ect. Any 1k bike has plenty of power, suspension, suspension, suspension. Kind of like real estate and location.

Move You Ass!
post #5 of 38 Old 02-09-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180

Still waiting for LDH to chime back in.

post #6 of 38 Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

Sorry... Been stompin busy getting suspension oil on everything this week

http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/04-07-CB...it-0407NIX.htm
post #7 of 38 Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180

And the rear?

post #8 of 38 Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Jaybird180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Sorry... Been stompin busy getting suspension oil on everything this week

http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/04-07-CB...it-0407NIX.htm
Am I understanding correctly that would be swapping the internals with a cartridge kit and fork caps? No visual upgrade like depicted?

post #9 of 38 Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 PM
RideRed31B
Knee dragging redneck

Wait....LDH is Mike from Kyle racing?

I bought my ohlins for my CB from you and never put that together.

I'm McDirty on .us btw

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 38 Old 02-12-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180

Today's ride.... first street ride post trackday- I always hate it and today proved true to form. I was thinking (perhaps overthinking?) about the suspension and chassis manners. Harsh, nervous and vague. The bike or the rider???

As I got more comfortable, the speed came to me and with it, the feeling of stability and bump absorption. It's the same settings that I ran the track with but I definitely feel that it needs...something but I'm not sure what. Less compression damping is for one and possibly less rebound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page