Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

more flick

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Aussiedc10 
#1 ·
i rode my friends 195-65-17 at the track, i currently use 200-55-17 on my bike.. i like the quick flick on the 65" what do you guys think about lowering the front 5mm?

Pros:
Cons:

#3 ·
i rode my friends 195-65-17 at the track, i currently use 200-55-17 on my bike.. i like the quick flick on the 65" what do you guys think about lowering the front 5mm?
I think you should get rid of the 200 rear tire. IMHO that's great for looks but your agility may suffer a bit.

These days some racers are actually raising both ends of the bike for greater handling, hence the availability of fork extenders and rear shock links for increased ride height and CG.

#6 ·
At full lean the 200 will give you more surface area on the pavement for a bit more grip.

lowering the front a bit will help with initial turn in, and 5mm shouldn't be a problem at all.

Play with it, see what you like and what feels good to you. My 636 track bike ive got the forks down in the triples about 10mm. you can also raise the rear a bit to do the same thing.

#10 ·
The stock suspension setup of the 2012 has the caps pretty much already flush with the upper clamps. If there is a way to lower the tubes in the clamps a few mm's it's possible that you can get your bike with that 200-rear to handle pretty closely as it did with the stock 190.

#9 ·
i ran a 125/80/17 front with both the 195 and 200 rear. the 195 does grip a bit better in the meat portion of the tire (getting on the gas after picking up off the edge) but the 200 is so close (and cheaper by $70 or so) that it really never made a difference to me. the 195 and the 200 are very close to the same profile so saying that you can tell a difference at tip in is a bit strange.

i wouldnt lower the front. just bet a bit bigger front tire.

in the end, if you want the same numbers as what you are used to, you need to measure your bike with what tires are on it. switch tires and re measure. adjust your ride height back to where it was originally.

#12 ·
My turn to put in 2 cents I guess...

The tires and numbers on the tires you are throwing out are really irrelevant. If you want you're bike to "flick" you need to do a couple things.

1 - Make sure that you're geometry is set correctly. Factory geometry sucks and usually you need to move the forks in the trees to get proper geometry.

2 - get you rear shock and fork internals sprung properly for you're weight and riding style.

And

3 - Have you're suspension properly setup for you're riding style and pace. If you start getting quicker on the track and drop your times a couple seconds, you're setup will more than likely have to change. But to he honest, once you get there, you'll be more worried about tearing up tires than having the bike "flick"

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.