Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

What is the grippiest street tires?

37K views 119 replies 93 participants last post by  Inked25 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking for my next set of tires for my 2006 CBR1000RR which currently have Michelin pp2ct tires. They have about 1,300 miles at the moment but I figured there are a bunch of end of season tire sales going that I should look at getting my next set now then later.

So, I don't ride in the rain or on wet roads and mostly twisty back country roads. I don't plan for any track days at the moment but you never know down the road. So, I care more about grip than mileage at the moment.

What tires would you recommend to me? Dunlop Q2's? Dunlop Q3's? Michelin pp3's?

Thanks in advance.

OhioBob

#32 ·
Dido, so far 8300 miles on them and they look new and grip like crazy!

#8 ·
GD, you running PP2CT or PP3? And my pockets are deep enough to get what I want, which is the best sticky DOT street/track tires out there for my 06' CBR1kRR. So, keep on suggesting, please. I was ready to jump on the Q3's, but then I heard they are great for wet weather, but I never ride in the rain. I don't take long enough trips on the CBR to get caught in a stray storm, so I do all my riding in the warm, dry weather in Southern Ohio.

BTW, GD, I have the CBR in the shop to replace the leaking fork seals now. Hopefully, I will have it back in a week or so.

Thanks again in advance.

OhioBob

#11 ·
I was ready to jump on the Q3's, but then I heard they are great for wet weather, but I never ride in the rain. I don't take long enough trips on the CBR to get caught in a stray storm, so I do all my riding in the warm, dry weather in Southern Ohio.

OhioBob
The fact that the Q3 is great in the wet is an added benefit.
Dunlop did not set out to design the Q3 as a wet weather tire, it just turned out that
because of the design of the tire it is very compliant in the wet, which is not a bad thing.

#13 ·
#21 ·
PP3 is my favorite street tire so far, haven't been to a track yet so no input there. My rears get ~4500 and fronts ~8000 with 1/2 commute 1/2 canyons. Since you already have the 2ct it would be an easy transition these feel very similar and the 190/55 feels great on the RRs. There are a few out there with more grip but not nearly able to get this kind of mileage from my experience. I've never had them slip in the dry and wet traction is good although I don't ride in the rain as much on this bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.