Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Buying a new tire.... Need tire for aggressive street riding

23K views 68 replies 48 participants last post by  shakira22 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a tire that is for aggressive street riding. I need a tire that will last me a good amount of time. I don't want to keep buying tires every other month. I've never been to the track out of all my years of riding but maybe one day I'll hit the track but it's not a priority when choosing my tire. I want a tire that will give me confidence on the streets and will stick to the pavement. My bike is a 2012 CBR1000RR and my search has narrowed me down to these tires:
Pirelli Diablo RossoII, Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, Michelin Pilot Power 3, Dunlop Sport Max Q3, and Bridgestone Battlax S20.
What tire fits my criteria and life style? If there are other tires that you recommend then please share your input, thank you in advance.....

#3 ·
Michelin 2ct.... Just my opinion. Aggressive street riding, sometimes in the rain....never had any moments related to grip. Before that usually used regular Pilots. I don't use any other tire. That might not be the best thing to do, but I like to stick with what works. Always inspired confidence and don't see the need to experiment further. Now I plan to do some track riding and when it comes to that I'll have to experiment once again.....but for street, strictly Michelin.

#4 ·
I agree. Strictly Michelin. I love the 2ct tires. The rear doesn't last long 1500 miles for me, but the front tire is amazing. I been using the PR2 rear with great results. But the Pirelli tires are mostly made in china now. And I know from first hand experience, China has NO QUALITY CONTROL. That 1 tire can be good but the next 2 could be bad. They don't do random quality checks so no one knows. Oh and I heard bad about the S20

#8 ·
Q3s I heard won't last long since it's a 50/50 street/track tire and I won't be hitting the track so does that mean it will last longer since I'm not going to the track with this tire?
And which is better for my riding style Pilot power 3 or 2CT?

#12 ·
They are my tire of choice. Q3's are great, but the rosso 2's last a bit longer for those that either have straighter roads or like power wheelies. Here is mostly flat roads, but for fun I ran them at the track and can do 85% of the pace I run slicks at (top of red/advanced group). Excellent tire.

Reactions: romeblade
#14 ·
Definitely go with them. I just put a set on my wife's bike to get the sticky sides and longer life down the middle.

I LOVE the Q3's but they didn't last much more than 2,000 mi. on the rear.

What I suggest doing is just try a different tire everytime you need to swap. PP3, Q3, 2CT, etc. You'll have plenty of time to pick a favorite!

#15 ·
I'll probably regret this later, but I'm a couple bottles of wine in, so....

People who ride aggressively, already have the experience to know what tire is appropriate for their riding style.

On a side note, opinions are like assholes, and you just saw mine....opinion- not my... Never mind. Lol

I ran pilot powers for years and loved them. Most recently, the q2 has been my tire.

#20 ·
I used S20 not the new EVO, good tyres for mye use but did not last a month on my R1. My buddy uses the S20 EVO now, and he got about a month out of it. Around 2000km.
When i got my CBR about a month ago I put on Pilot Power 3, i have the feeling that this tyre is going to last a bit longer for me, and i like the feeling of the quick turn in on the PP3 on the track. Just for the hell of it, im going to try dunlop next. My cousin used that tyre for roadracing in national level in Norway and says it is a good tyre. Only trouble is that it f...s up the suspension setting when I change tyre brand.

#23 ·
With the 2cts I always felt like right where I started to lean deep there was an edge of the cliff feeling. There was tire and grip after that but it was unnerving. I would fall into the turns and just tell myself...it's gonna hold don't worry.

That said...I have them now but I really want to try q3's or bt003rs.

#24 ·
Are you willing to sacrifice handling for longevity? Go for the Q3's from rocky mountain atv...with free shipping ; $233.98 a set with a 190/55 rear. Add the $40 Dunlop rebate and you can't go wrong (ends this month i think). You will get awesome handling and by planning ahead i.e buying multiple sets of tyres each year they go on sale you can make up for the lack of mileage u will get from them. I have bought a set of Q3s and BT016's with an extra rear for each..this way i don't worry about how quickly my tread is being left on the bitumen.

Best bet is to read reviews from motorcycle websites like motorcycleusa.com that do tyre comparison tests on street and track. The Q3 gets an awesome rap for street and track on all websites i have found.

#26 ·
For the rear tires should I upgrade to a 190/55 from the stock 190/50? What does this do to the handling? I have my suspension tuned for aggressive street riding so will this be affected? And the 190/50 speed rating is a z and the 190/55 rating is a W which is faster, should I do the upgrade?

#30 ·
I just ordered the Q3s!! Thank you all for your replies and helping me out with my decision...... And to the assholes that wasted their own time to show others how much of a dick they can be behind a computer screen by being negative instead of helping someone, thank you

#35 ·
a friend who commutes on his 600rr got 4500 miles on the rear. no track days, some twisties. I doubt he can drag a knee. his second rear tire Q3, delaminated.

#40 ·
You're kidding, right? Not on the street! Michelin and Sportbike Trackgear dot com (good video) recommend not using these tires without tire warmers. You'd never be able to get enough heat into them on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.