Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

tire wear

8K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  DannoXYZ 
#1 ·
Does anyone use their tires until you see white cords? I did once by accident, I'll never do that again but I've seen guys ride until there's a inch or so of white cords showing. I do use them past the tread wear indicators and even slick but no cords showing.

#18 ·
I buy a new tire to have on standby when I get to the wear bars, then I ride them until the channels are barely visible.

#20 ·
what the hell are you guys doing? im at 5k miles and my fronts are still perfect and the rears still not at wear bars yet, and these are on stock tires.

#24 ·
I must be riding like a grandpa compared to you guys then lol. I go about 90-100 on hwy for commuting its about 45mi each way.....so damn! kudos, and drive safe lol

#29 ·
90-100 straight line won't cause much wear compared to higher speeds. It's a function of heat both ambient and build up due to friction. I get just over 3K miles and the center has no grooves. the roads I ride aren't twisty so most wear comes from hard acceleration. I two upped a girl 300 miles round trip on a hot day and forgot to raise the tire pressure and the wear was noticeable. Point is there are a lot of variables that go into wear.

#28 ·
I usually always ride down to the cord. I monitor my tires pretty carefully though. I always have the cord showing in the center of my tire, I've never had it show on the sides. If I had that showing on the sides, then I probably wouldn't let it get to that point. When I do see chord showing in the center of the tire then I pretty much put my riding on hold until I have a new tire then I save my next ride as my ride to the shop to get that new tire on :)

#30 ·
I have got 5000miles from my pilot powers so far (the original bridestone 3500 miles). The rear is down to 3mm.

You may want to consider the pilot power as they are not the latest trend and fashion and priced very well. I have ridden in monsoon rain with no complaints. They stick to the road like a leech.

I would not go down below 2 mm because:
-the handling is affected specially the transition from upright to leaning because of squarring off
-tracking groves and joints on road surfaces which can wobble the bars like a tank slapper at high speeds
-compromised performance in the rain

If you ride at high speed for long periods, then you may be at risk specially if you run lower tyre pressure.

all tyres have a marker (1mm) and manufacturers says you should change at that point if not before. Like honda says an oil change every 8000 miles. it is your choice whether you want to stick to these or take a risk and compromise not to mention if it is illegal

BTW over here, insurance companies always check the tread depth if you make a claim or have an accident. If it is below the legal limit, they wash their hands off you!

#31 ·
I have, more than once on R888s. riding or driving on the cords is about traction, but mostly about the tires ability to still hold air. I am easy on the throttle so my tires last. I swap them out when I start to loose traction or I have worn the middle down from commuting. not quite as bad as a chicken strip, but anyone rider can tell if they run their hand over the center.

a friend likes thw S20 evo, I might try that next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.