Cold psi for Dunlop GP and GPA? - Page 2 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by styles View Post
Did u use tire Warmers? If not what psi did u set yours at?

Has anyone tried these tires personally without Warmers? How many laps did u do before getting on it?
I do not run tire warmers with mine. Of course I'm not racing either. You will get a ton of different advice and opinions on the whole tire warmer thing. I'm only doing track days right now, and I always use my first 2 laps to ramp up slowly so I don't feel the warmers are a necessary cost yet. If I ever get to a race level where I'm going wfo from the jump, then that's a different story. FYI warm/tire warmer psi is 23R,33F and that's pretty consistent with the pressures I have when I return to pit from a session.
SoCal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #12

Here you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dunlap TP.JPG (52.1 KB, 5 views)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Birdriguez1/videos
TY Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Yuppp!

31front 21 rear it is!!! I'm getting so excited for TD! Hope I do great!

This might be a stupid question but I know I set the tires psi before I get on the track, what about after getting off? Do I have to set it to the "hot" psi stated above??

Last edited by styles; 10-11-2012 at 08:51 PM.
styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
31front 21 rear it is!!! I'm getting so excited for TD! Hope I do great!

This might be a stupid question but I know I set the tires psi before I get on the track, what about after getting off? Do I have to set it to the "hot" psi stated above??
Start your first session with the cold pressure stated above, after that session check your hot pressure and adjust accordingly. Different ambient temperatures and other factors can have an impact on hot temp, you want your hot temp as close to recommended as possible. However, you might find you like the tire better with a pound above or below recommended, if not more.
Also, if you're doing Novice, depending on the organization that holds the track day, chances are you won't get your tires up to their full hot temp for the first or second session. That said, start with the cold pressure first until you can get rippin around the track at a steady pace without a CR.
As others have said, give it at least a lap before you push it.

09 black r6- track only

Steviegx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Yuppp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviegx33 View Post
Start your first session with the cold pressure stated above, after that session check your hot pressure and adjust accordingly. Different ambient temperatures and other factors can have an impact on hot temp, you want your hot temp as close to recommended as possible. However, you might find you like the tire better with a pound above or below recommended, if not more.
Also, if you're doing Novice, depending on the organization that holds the track day, chances are you won't get your tires up to their full hot temp for the first or second session. That said, start with the cold pressure first until you can get rippin around the track at a steady pace without a CR.
As others have said, give it at least a lap before you push it.
Thanks! So after my session I adjust to the hot pressure recommendation on the site or set it to the cold recommendation?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Lifetime Premium

After a session, come in to your pit and throw a gauge on it, see what psi you have. Should be somewhere around the hot setting. For track day novice it does not have to be exact. Again depends on a whole lot of variables. Track surface, track temp, ambient temp, how much braking and accelerating you were doing, how fast you were pushing it, how many laps out, suspension set up, and on and on. My last td at ECR I set mine in the morning at the cold temp set, and every time I ended a session my pressure was right in the area it should have been. That day I never had to add or let out air. I had a different experience at TWS, there I seemed to be bleeding off a few pounds after some of the sessions. It will always vary, but again track day, not racing, novice level, you shouldn't run into any problems.
SoCal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Yuppp!

It is safe to run these tires without Warmers?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #18

Quote:
It is safe to run these tires without Warmers?
Yes its safe. Just make sure to get a few laps in before you ride agressive, so they warm up. If its cooler out side it will take a little longer*

http://www.youtube.com/user/Birdriguez1/videos
TY Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #19

17.5 rear cold and 27 front cold. Then with warmers for an hour 21 rear and 31 front. Then hot off the track I'm usually 23 rear and 33 front. That works for me and my setup.
parapuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #20

track/race season is basically over but definitely get some heat in them, especially in the morning sessions. warmers help (ready to roll when you go out/less heat cycling) but aren't necessary. cold pressure ballpark 30f/20r cold. monitor them through the day but don't go crazy adding/removing air. when you start messing with things too many variables are added into the mix.
bme61679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement