PSI on 2cts for a 220lb rider : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #1

PSI on 2cts for a 220lb rider

sup guys just wondering for someone such as myself a 220lb what would be the best psi to run on my 2004

the first gen is a heavier bike so that adds weight as well as me 220 at 6''3

I dont have much experience in tires so I dont feel a difference riding 34/36

and 38/42

so looking for advice

I was thinking 38 front and 42 rear
the higher the psi the longer the tires last too right ?

but then again the 2004 is a heavier bike and is not as easy to throw around for an incoming turn like a 08+ would so maybe I should have more psi on the front so 40/38 ? I dunno what are your guys opinions for me ?
BrokenBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
nuckin futs

check your owners manual

yes the more air the longer they last

street - 36/42

track - start at 32/32, if they melt up a little you're good. if they stay the same as when you ride on the street drop 1 pound per session til they melt a little

bmwTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #3

The higher the pressure the cooler they will stay the longer the life and fuel economy. Lower the pressure the more heat produced the quicker the wear the more rolling resistence less economy.
CBR1kWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #4

heres another question

with my previous set of 2ct's my middle got tread got worned out really fast while my side was still thick

can this be avoided to even out the tread life evenly so i dont end up with another set of tires thats 90% worn out in the middle and still like brand new on the sides ?

would dropping the psi low would fix this issue ?

so lets say I get brand new tires.. I ride for 2months on 36/f 42 rear. and notice the middle tread is getting worn out and hess half less tread than on the sides

would dropping the psi to 32 rear for a month would make the tread more even ?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #5

If you are doing a lot of upright riding between your twisties, you should look at a dual compound tire. Most manufacturers have a least one dual compound, some have a few, ranging from sport-touring to hypersports.

I'm using Michelin Pilot Road 3s, and can't fault them, but I hate and avoid riding in the rain anyway (wuss!), so I will probably replace them with something with a bit stickier. If you are commuting, or you ride regularly in the rain, the PR3s are a great choice. I certainly have no complaints about them.

As for road pressure settings, in most cases the tire manufacturers actually recommend using the motorcycle manufacturer's tire pressures. In Honda's case, 36f 42r. I've played around with lower pressures on my Michelin Pilot Road 3s, but I've found the most consistent feel is with those pressures. Track pressures are a different story, but I wouldn't use the PR3s as a trackday tire anyway. I'm about 190, plus 15 with riding gear.
CBRmikeRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

FWIW, I'm a gal, at 140lbs and one of my riding buddies is your size, and we run the same presssures (different tires) track and street.

31/31 track, 33-34/36-37 street.

another friend of mine is my weight and he runs 32/32 track and street....

I know I know not helpful.
numbafree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRmikeRR View Post
If you are doing a lot of upright riding between your twisties, you should look at a dual compound tire. Most manufacturers have a least one dual compound, some have a few, ranging from sport-touring to hypersports.

I'm using Michelin Pilot Road 3s, and can't fault them, but I hate and avoid riding in the rain anyway (wuss!), so I will probably replace them with something with a bit stickier. If you are commuting, or you ride regularly in the rain, the PR3s are a great choice. I certainly have no complaints about them.

As for road pressure settings, in most cases the tire manufacturers actually recommend using the motorcycle manufacturer's tire pressures. In Honda's case, 36f 42r. I've played around with lower pressures on my Michelin Pilot Road 3s, but I've found the most consistent feel is with those pressures. Track pressures are a different story, but I wouldn't use the PR3s as a trackday tire anyway. I'm about 190, plus 15 with riding gear.

yeah I ride a lot upright before any twisties in the city but I dont ride in the rain so which tire do you say wont worn out in the middle as much as teh 2ct ? since I am riding upright 80% and only corner and turn 20%
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #8

I'm the same weight as you and I keep my pressure around 34f 36r since I do a mix of commuting and back roads. To me I'd rather run a lower pressure and wear a little extra tire for the added grip. Much cheaper then a low side.
Sti2.5ldohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenBones View Post
yeah I ride a lot upright before any twisties in the city but I dont ride in the rain so which tire do you say wont worn out in the middle as much as teh 2ct ? since I am riding upright 80% and only corner and turn 20%
I am hesitant to advise you, but a sports-touring tire sounds like what you need. Although, 80% upright...why do you have a 1000cc sportsbike! Higher pressures (read: stock) will give you better tire life.
CBRmikeRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #10

because when it is time to do a turn I like to lean into them .. its not as often as upright but I love leaning when I get the chance I am on teh bike in the city to go from to to be so as you can imagine there arent awhole lotta turns its 80% riding down the street to a buddys house with 4-5turns to make to get there

besides I am too tall for a 600cc bike I like them a little bigger in size thats why I have an 04 and not an 08.. 08s are the size of a 600 and I look like a tall mofo on them I simply fit the 04 1000 better than any bike I sat on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement