Front Michelin Pilot Road 3 + Rear Metzeler M5 combination? : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #1

Front Michelin Pilot Road 3 + Rear Metzeler M5 combination?

Current set installed is Metzeler M5 on both front and rear. I need to replace my front after it started to have some sort of uneven wear and different height between the sipes, which makes the tire not evenly round anymore. I'm thinking of the Michelin Pilot Road 3 as its successor.

What do you guys think about this Sport-Touring(F)/Sport(R) combination ? the rear M5 has only 3750 miles (6000 km) on it, and still looks good. Should I replace it as well, to have both from and rear of the same type(Sport-Touring)?
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #2

I am not very good expert in this field, but i dont think its good idea!
You can mix brands but if the are with same compaund,with your combination, i think that rear will have mich more grip then the front and it can make you go in some turn faster thinking the rear will stick but the fromt one gonna lie you and can slide.i dont kow i a not expert in this field, just my opinion.

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
12 RED 1000RR "GINGER"

I'll mix treads from the same manufacturer but not different companies... I run a pp pure front and a road 2 rear and I've got 3xxx miles on this set up and about 10 passes at the racetrack and the rear is just starting to show wear from those burnouts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Integrated Tail Light, Fender Eliminator, A lot of powder coating, FMF Apex S/O, Bazzaz Zfi, Zbomb, block off plates, modded vstacks, emissions and flappers removed, air tubes sealed off, k&n race air filter, SS lines, HH pads. DB windscreen, frame & engine sliders, suspension setup from ORO cycles in austin, 520 conversion, speedo healer, and some other stuff that my wife doesnt know about to come.
TheBigBankHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #4

You are going about it backwards. You want the sport on the front and the touring on the rear. If you slip the rear you can recover but you if you slip traction on the front you will lose it 99% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

i have the pilot road 3 on the front and back of my bike, these tires are awesome, and have saved me many times, they grip! and in the rain, even better! you should be good! i even practice in the rain when no cars are around trying to lock them up to get a feel, and they work awesome!

http://youtu.be/WVjHa5ghE2o
isocyanates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

OP, you are fine to do this. I have done this many times, with diff types of manuf/compund combinations. Sport Touring tires have great grip, comparable to 'sticky' tires from just a few years ago. Like anything, give your type of riding a once over to make sure this type of move fits safely in your plans for the bike, i.e street riding versus a fast pace at a track day.

To everybody else, shut the fuck up unless you have tried this. To those that have, continue to post on the topic. Lol at gilgorovmyass, don't post up that you aren't knowledgeable on the subject then go on to say you 'think' it shouldn't be done. Sigh.
01010101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Admin

i have quite a bit of experience running different tires on the front and rear.

if the tires are a similar carcass, then you will be fine. if they are not, you will have issues at higher speeds. if you are commuting at the speed limit, it doesnt matter whats on the bike. if you wick it up past 100 mph+, then you need to have the same kind of tire on both the front and rear.

if you are on the track i would NEVER run different front/rears. been there done that. the bike does not like to work the way it should with a 90 degree carcass on one end and a zero degree carcass on the other end.

http://www.superbikesupply.com
info@superbikesupply.com
828-287-2101-sales
FEED YOUR EGO!!
http://www.facebook.com/superbikesupply
SBS Forum http://forum.superbikesupply.com/forum.php
08 cbr 1000rr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Being right is bitter-sweet when you're ruled and surrounded by morons.

"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." - D.H. Lawrence
lexus rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #8

Thanks Bras, and all. I've decided to sell the M5's as a set, and to mount the Road 3's front and rear. I think this is the way to go, in spite the fact that I'm a street rider only, no track at all, most mileage is daily commuting to and from work, and once a month I'm scrubbing the dust of the tires's shoulders at the canyons

Last edited by Zedik; 11-16-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Zedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedik View Post
Thanks Bras, and all. I've decided to sell the M5's as a set, and to mount the Road 3's front and rear. I think this is the way to go, in spite the fact that I'm a street rider only, no track at all, most mileage is daily commuting to and from work every day, and once a month I'm scrubbing the dust of the tires's shoulders at the canyons
my rear lasted 6000, it could prolly go a few more, but i have 2 nails in it, had it patched, but i bought a new one, so i'll use my old one on my stunt bike. the front is still in great shape at 6000, you won't be sorry!
isocyanates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #10

Do it. I've went through hundreds of tires. I too was scared of mixing and matching in the begining. Just think of it as a hard option front and softer option rear or vice versa when doing other tires. Mixing tires like this will give you a different feel from having a matched set perhaps, but that's what it will be. Just a different feel. The machine will not be dangerous.

I do caution when mixing tires or putting a new with a old. Watch for cupping and other tire damage if the old tire has any I would change it. Cupping seems to give the biggest "bad" feel to the handling of a bike.

As for Pilot Road 3's, it's all I use on the street. On all my literbikes, they last forever and stick good. I've been able to keep ahead of everyone I ride with on the street and they're rocking pure sport tires. Most people don't use the grip available on a sport touring tire and forget about using the grip of a sport tire. UNLESS you like the canyons and mountains!
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement