Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Warmers on street tires?

13K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  TTD 
#1 ·
What are you guys' thoughts on running tire warmers on street tires (Q3's for example). I was scouring the inter webs to see what others had said. I saw opinions from multiple sides. Some said not to use warmers for fear of overheating the tires. Some said to run the warmers for less time between sessions and some said to just run them all together. Not having any experience with warmers I would imagine that you should be able to put street tires on warmers, provided you get your hot pressures right.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I read an article time ago (cant remember the source) that argued against it. The reasoning made sense to me.
In sum they were saying that differently from race compunds street tires are designed to warm up quick. In exchage for those properties, the rubber can only withstand high temperatures for a short amount of time before degrading. As such "giving the tires a break" was that this guy was recomending.

Heat cycling is not that much of an issue for street tires since they are designed to "heat cycle across their entire life span". I am no tire guru, but it did make sense to me. If you want to avoid the warmers pick up a set of pirelli superbike pro's. Otherwise send an email to Brad he will find a set for you ridiculously cheap.

Curious to read other people's opinion though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
Here's the thing.

Tire warmers were invented to get you through the 1st turn and subsequent opening laps of any given race at a higher speed. And that's pretty much it.

So, unless you're in that situation, you don't need them. Period. (don't even worry about heat cycles on a street tire)

#6 ·
From a coach/instructor standpoint, avoid warmers. First and foremost, you should always use a full lap to warm up your BRAIN. Even when I'm using warmers because I'm using up race take offs, I never ride the first lap more than 80%. Look for changes, speedy dry, where the sun is in your eyes, etc. I also find the work involved with warmers is a distraction to learning. It also makes parking the bike a process. Ride good street tires until they are limiting your times. When they start skating a bit, you learn to ride a loose bike.
I've also seen people use them on cold days, don't!!!! You'll start on warm tires and then lose heat, and drop it in a lap or two.

#7 ·
I wonder though, if it would be helpful to use a programmable warmer on street tires to keep them warm (not fully hot) between sessions. I'll likely be running DOT race tires this season, which will warrant the use of warmers, but I have a new set of Q3's sitting in the garage and I was wondering how they would hold up on warmers.

#10 ·
Just be aware, Warmers on street tires are a "squid flag" in the paddock. Better yet, those who weave back and forth on pit out to warm their tires like Nascar racers, STOP IT, you look ra dick alous ! :th_SmlyROFL:

#11 ·
A while back, one of our unit's motorcycle mentors told us that swerving was a good way to keep heat in your bike's tires. He was pissed when he caught me snickering behind him.

I've been doing some looking around and I found a site that sells Dunlop 211's, KR448's and 449's for less than the local tire vendor. I'm thinking about picking some up and keeping my Q3's strictly for commuting/street.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#12 ·
I think if you can afford tire warmers you can afford the appropriate track tires.

After you've done a track day and gone through numerous heat cycles, do you really want to trust those street tires back on the street?

I wouldn't use warmers on street tires

#13 ·
Through the past two seasons, I've done double duty on all my tires. I've run pilot powers, power pures, and Q2's on street and track. Granted the mileage goes out the window, but they've all treated me well when put back on the street.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#17 ·
Disclosure: I sell warmers and tires and I run trackdays.

While I don't see any damage coming from putting street tires on for about 20 minutes before a session, I agree with a previous poster that said to use the first lap or two getting your body and brain ready to go fast.

Even racers get a "warm up" lap. Trackday riders need that lap just as much.

As a trackday organizer, I can tell you that lots of cold tire crashes really ruin the day. The fact that they are completely avoidable is the frustrating part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.