Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Anyone run PP3 at the track?

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  trevorb 
#1 ·
I've searched multiple forums and can't find any pressure suggestions for the pilot power 3. The tire reps are Dunlop guys so didn't have suggestions either. I know they aren't much of a track tire I'm just trying to finish wearing them down before getting some Q3s in the spring. Any suggestions appreciated.

#4 ·
I've run power 3s on the 600, advice from the guys on track was to use 28 pounds in the rear off the warmers/hot temp (I used 30 in the front, cold and it seemed fine).

I started out with 29 cold, and when going to 28 hot (would have been ~ 18 C ambient) definitely noticed less moving around out of corners on the rear.

Power 3s definitely need slightly lower pressures than Power 2CT, Power Pure, etc.

All this will vary with ambient temp, etc. Check your tyre wear after your first session for cold/hot tear.

edit:
I'm a track noob like yourself (3 days), so not pushing super hard on them, but using most of the tyre and knee is very close to touching down. Search youtube for "dave moss tire wear" to get an idea of what to be looking for.

#7 ·
The coaches tried to bump me the last week when I was at the track. I said no because I was nervous since I've only been 3 days. Of course next session I got rear ended by a guy losing control on his s1000. He went down I stayed up luckily thanks to a nice and smooth grass runoff.

My bike is still intact more or less and I'm riding again next sat n sun. My tires are almost done. What tire did you move up to? I was gonna go with Q3. The coach said they are plenty for the pace I'm running.

#8 ·
what's the level you being bump... if you are upper inter or lower advance, move to DOT tires or slicks. Also, if you like the Michelins, stay with them.

I, also am a Michelin guy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.