Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Looking for advise

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  ZX Knight 
#1 ·
Hi, Im riding my first Honda. 06 1k. At the moment this bike is strictly a track bike. Im looking for any tips/tricks/mods for cheap/free power. Maybe a new riding buddy if your in the VA area. Bike is pretty much stock, 2 bro slip on and steel brake lines. Just looking to see what you guy have found to be the best bang for the buck.

My first time riding the bike :) (lol..which is still the only time ive ridden the bike)

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
How much more power do you want? Your bike already pushes 150hp+, and unless you're competing for the local riders championship, you should be doing quite well.

Also, the one thing I've learned about track life is that there is no such thing as "cheap or free".

#3 ·
Cant really say how much HP im looking for and I can only compare it to my previous 07 zx10r (which didn't have the bottom end of the cbr but seemed a lot more lively up top). As far as free/cheap, depends on your bike. My 07 and 08 zx6r gained a decent amount by doing the jumper mod. So I hoped maybe the cbr had some free ponies too :)

#6 · (Edited)
Cheapest way to make the bike accelerate harder is to fit a larger rear sprocket and/or smaller front sprocket.

It may marginally reduce your top speed, but unless you have a death wish, you aren't using the top speed of the bike regularly anyway.

edit:
track bike = different. for some reason I parsed it as "ex track bike, on road". my bad.

getting something to get rid of the timing retard up top should give you another few horses, the US spec bikes are neutered up top via ignition timing compared to the rest of the world, and flat line at 150 hp.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi, Im riding my first Honda. 06 1k. At the moment this bike is strictly a track bike. Im looking for any tips/tricks/mods for cheap/free power. Maybe a new riding buddy if your in the VA area. Bike is pretty much stock, 2 bro slip on and steel brake lines. Just looking to see what you guy have found to be the best bang for the buck.

My first time riding the bike :) (lol..which is still the only time ive ridden the bike)

9/15/2014 Summit Main Roger lyle - YouTube
Z-Fi and a dyno tune. Good for 12-15 hp.

#9 ·
To make your bike Faster -
Rear shock
re-valve or carts up front .

I had a stock 07 motor in my 04 (156rwhp), and the only things beating me in the straights were carry more corner speed thus driving out harder . But I have Passed straight @ summit RSV4 , 1098, 1198, s1000rrs, etc . Skills and suspenion is where it at . That said I'm building motor .

#10 ·
Re gearing is the only cheap thing but it really works. Suspension is where I would put the money. Then a PC and custom tune. Like Rotten said your motor is plenty fast. I have an 06, geared, PC and custom tune and full Ohlins. Usually the only thing passing me on a long straight is a built GSKR 1k.

#18 ·
And one last thing, a good custom tune will give you a nice fat HP/torque curve and keep you accelerating longer and faster in a power band than a bike with a small band but higher hp numbers. Its not always about more power, there is a lot of other factors. I have friends that can hustle around most tracks faster than guys with a LOT more hp. These days I'm happy to drag knee, do a few hundred wheelies out of corners and not go to jail.

#23 ·
Rotten, do you have any video of you ridding at Summit. I never go back into first, even on my 600. What are you lap times? On a side note thanks for all the advise guy, I really do appreciate it but ive decide to go in a diff direction. I put the bike up for sale/trade, If I cant find a gsxr 750 to trade, then Ill just sell the cbr out right and use my zx6r on the track.

#25 ·
On stock Suspension and bt03rs my fastest was1:23 sliding/pushing through the turns on avg i ran 1:24's unless i got lazy or tired then i'd slow into 1:26's . I have some vids but they are all from B and I group before I started to figure things out . I had planned to drop into the Teens this year but had an unfortunate incident this winter that forced me to build a motor .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiOhNpD7Xlo3OXdw2OE_tA/videos

#24 ·
And technically I was looking for better times. Jumping from riding my zx6 to the cbr I dropped 4 secs at summit main. It just felt like I should have been going faster. 167 was my high on the back str8, I don't know if the bike geared or not. Suspension was all types of non compliant but that was the first and only time ive ridden the bike. After seeing all the posts I almost feel like keeping it, its hard figuring thing out by yourself. I guess it will sort its self it. thanks again :)

#26 ·
Did you have a get off or did the bike just fail? Im on the stock suspension also and running Power Cup Dot Slicks with my fastest lap being a 1:24. Only diff is Im still running in I. Do you feel 1:24 is quick enough to run with A? Also with you running 1:23 was it time to start upgrading the rider, the bike, or both to get your lap times dropping? Sorry for the rack of questions, don't want regret selling.

#27 ·
Going to Adavnced is more about smoothness and holding your lines than speed . I took the Race school won the mock race , and then tried to go back to I group the rest of the day , but was asked/told to goto A and stay there .
I may have run faster than 1:23 as i didn't run my timer during the mock race and i was pushing had during those 7 laps .

1:23 was time upgrade the bike . When I got to A I tried following faster riders and the bike started pushing/sliding wide ,and spinning up coming out of turns , so I just backed it down and continued to work on smoothness instead .

In reality We both need to improve to go faster , I added - AK20's upfront , ohlins 604 rear shock for suspenion , and a yoyo slipper to improve corner entry without the damn tire hop .

I cracked my case on engine because i didn't flush all the water out well enough before last winter and it froze :( .
So a set of ebay case's replated by MT, Goodies from JE, HRC and web i'm almost ready to start assembling .

#28 ·
Well after another TD my opinion of the bike has kinda changed. Kinda like it, couple things that need to be done like you guys said. The exhaust, pc, gp shift kit (a must!!), maybe even a throttle tube. Last TD was at NC bike ccw and I was able to get the bump to A :). So Im pretty happy

#29 ·
just starting out you really don't need any of this (Gp shift is nice, and its free to do). Rear shock is must, stock one is inadequate, but that's about it. Front suspension is fine. Would suggest against the throttle tube, you need quite a bit of experience and a very deft hand to use a shorter throttle effectively. Work on lines and smoothness, then add go-fast parts down the road.

#30 ·
I have more reason for the exhaust and pc then speed. The bike is real quite and I can really hear where im at, So the exhaust to make it louder and the pc to make sure its not running lean. GP is a must because I need to shift sometimes in the middle of transition and its hard to grab in standard config (its not free on the 06). Throttle tube because I find myself at 4/5 throttle coming down the str8s. You are right about the suspension, while I was battling in a she was just pushing wide everywhere. I was going at it with this old dude on a BMW and he was just sitting on the seat full lean and still getting more drive coming out of the turns. Every time I moved in for the pass she just started running wide. Keep advise coming tho and any specific corrections that I can make on my line (It was my first time riding ccw tho).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.