No crank after shorting out headlight - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 8 Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
jimbo7

No crank after shorting out headlight

Everything turns on and works but I get nothing when starter button pressed. I was wiring and testing led bulbs for headlights and some wires touched and shorted out instantly. I head a "click" or "pop" noise come from the fuse box area. Checked all the fuses and they're all good. All wires look good and no smoke or burnt smell. I can jump the bike straight from the starter with a bump box. The starter relay switch and the rectifier were tested. Didn't test rectifier, but did test starter relay and it seems to be bad. I touched the positive and negative terminals and the starter turned over. So that would mean I need a new starter relay, right? Wouldn't the 30a or 20a fuse blown first?

2008 CBR1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-04-2019, 10:01 PM
D_behrnes

I would start with a new relay and see where that gets you it’s not gonna kill your wallet so might as well. Also I would read up on your handbook and follow procedures on testing that system. I’m having electrical issues with my bike as well so good luck with your problem
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
jimbo7

No bikes shops around me have the relay (or correct one) in stock, so I ordered one off ebay that'll be here Tuesday. But my favorite shop went ahead and ordered a few so if this ebay one doesn't work, I can pickup a brand new OEM Honda one.

I've been told I can just jump it, but I don't like that idea. Especially if I have to take the seat off every time.

2008 CBR1000RR

post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
jimbo7

So I installed the ebay parted-out bike relay and it still doesn't start. Absolutely nothing when I hit start. I traced the wiring diagram from the starter switch and a black/red wire completes the circuit to the start button along with a yellow/red wire that goes to the starter relay. That black/red wire goes to the 20A headlight fuse and the headlight relay. I can't believe I didn't see the headlight relay since this problem did occur at the headlights! I feel dumb. I'm gonna go see if the headlight relay is shot.

2008 CBR1000RR
post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Badboy01

Garage
Be sure to check the Bank Angle Sensor also. I saw a spark on start up near the dash. Engine then ran but would stall at full stop. Finally, she wouldn't start at all. Went thru standard "no start procedure" and identified BAS. Good luck with repairs.

2008 Limited Edition Black
post #6 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
jimbo7

Just checked the bank angle sensor. Works fine. I did test the kickstand switch by putting it in gear with it down and that's fine too, but now my guage doesn't show the bike's in neutral when it is. Now I gotta look into that issue.

2008 CBR1000RR
post #7 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Liquid_IQ

Check the connectors in the dash area, maybe something was damaged by the over-current.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
jimbo7

Jumped the starter button today and still nothing. I'm still hoping it's the headlight relay which hasn't come in yet. If that doesn't work I'll buy a new OEM starter relay in place of the ebay one I ordered.

I'm still tracing the wiring diagram around to find possible culprits. I don't get how I heard a pop/click under the seat area but no fuses blew or signs of burnt wires. The last thing I wanna replace is the regulator/rectifier, but the bike runs fine beside no starting with the button or headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_IQ View Post
Check the connectors in the dash area, maybe something was damaged by the over-current.
Everything looks good but my neutral light came back on after removing the connector and plugging it back in. Maybe it was loose from all the messing around I'm doing.

2008 CBR1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page