Cold weather starting is a pain in the ... - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 11 Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
taliesinjamie

Cold weather starting is a pain in the ...

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone here can help. I'm riding an '08 Blade with 25,000 on the clock. As the weather is getting colder my beloved is being a pain in the ass to start. I thought it was the battery, but I've chucked a Li-Ion on there that's rated for 160 CCA, but it's still being a pig, doesn't feel like the starter is spinning as quickly as it once did - but maybe I'm just over-reading into things in a bid to solve the problem.

Don't really wanna spend 200 on a new starter motor unless I know it's at fault if you get my meaning.

When it starts, it runs fine, just takes 3 or 4 cycles of 10 second bursts to get it to fire. Despite it being a new battery, at the end of the cycle it does feel like the battery is dying, the starter turns more slowly. Yep, I've verified battery is ok.

Any support you can through my way is appreciated as I use this bike daily for getting back and forth to work and without it, it's a long walk... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-28-2019, 12:35 PM
icrashbikes

I'm running into this as well. The general consensus seems to be ditch the lithium battery. With all the issues I've had with it, I'm inclined to go that route.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-28-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
taliesinjamie

Well, I was unsure about whether to upgrade to a Lithium battery, but prior to bunging this in, I used a new MotoBatt MTBZ07, and it had the same issue with the starting.. :-(. Kinda figured by virtue of this being the third battery to display the same problem, I must have ruled that out from the equation.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2019, 10:16 PM
09_Blade

Have the exact same problem! Lithium batteries cannot supply their full cranking amps when its near or below freezing. Had the same issue on my 600rr too. For reliable winter starts you need to go back to the OEM Yuasa battery.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-01-2019, 01:35 PM
bonjo

What temps are you talking about?

LiFePo battery poor cold temp performace is well documented. Don't be mislead by their CCa ( I think the rating is at 20C!).
One option is to warm up the battery by running your headlight for 15~30 sec before cranking. Hopefully this should start up up but be aware the battery capacity is very little ((less than 50% of OEM one) so I recommend a good ride or charge after
post #6 of 11 Old 11-01-2019, 02:00 PM
icrashbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjo View Post
What temps are you talking about?

LiFePo battery poor cold temp performace is well documented. Don't be mislead by their CCa ( I think the rating is at 20C!).
One option is to warm up the battery by running your headlight for 15~30 sec before cranking. Hopefully this should start up up but be aware the battery capacity is very little ((less than 50% of OEM one) so I recommend a good ride or charge after
Switching the bike on and letting the battery run the lights definitely does help. Still, that just helps it start slowly. I'd say it's about 60* here, as opposed to the 70 or 80 that I usually ride in. It's always started a little sluggishly but at this temperature it's a little ridiculous. I'll be back to a stock battery for next season.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-02-2019, 08:38 AM
bonjo

you 60F equates to about 15C over here which would be considered mild>warm!

the battery should have no problems at this temps. Which leads me to thinks maybe it either deffective (dead cell)or there is another issue with the bike.

what brand of battery are you using and hope you are using a charge without desulfation or a dedicated one.

I guess trying a lead acid battery would rul out the battery.

I am interested because I am thinking of switching to LiFePo at the next battery replacement and use my bike all year above 4*C
post #8 of 11 Old 11-02-2019, 09:38 AM
icrashbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjo View Post
you 60F equates to about 15C over here which would be considered mild>warm!

the battery should have no problems at this temps. Which leads me to thinks maybe it either deffective (dead cell)or there is another issue with the bike.

what brand of battery are you using and hope you are using a charge without desulfation or a dedicated one.

I guess trying a lead acid battery would rul out the battery.

I am interested because I am thinking of switching to LiFePo at the next battery replacement and use my bike all year above 4*C
It's a Shorai battery that I keep maintained with a Shorai charger. I had the same battery before this one and it ended up with a dead cell. They replaced it and this one is giving me problems after less than a season. I haven't tested the individual cell voltages on this one but it charges and discharges fine so the charger isn't seeing a problem. I was really hoping this would be a good solution because I like the tiny, lightweight battery and I'm invested in the battery and the charger. I guess it's all moot if the bike doesn't start.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-02-2019, 01:31 PM
bonjo

Have you checked shorting warranty. I think it is more than one year.
Although well established brand I consider the product 1st generation breed as it has no BSM on board.
Most on the current brands I know have it.
Having said that if the charging system put out more than 14.5v, you would quickly kill the battery
post #10 of 11 Old 11-03-2019, 07:48 AM
TedEbear

I installed a Shorai battery in my '08 back in 2014 and it still works fine. I keep it on a Shorai charger whenever I am not going to ride for an extended period but no problem start it. I usually do not ride if the temp is less than 55*F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page