08 CBR1000RR headlight issue - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 10 Old 11-06-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Agronomist

08 CBR1000RR headlight issue

When I have my low beams on one head light is off and high beams on both lights are on, is this from factory or do I just need new bulbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 AM
ff1899

1 side is the low beam 1 side is the high beam. They are working correctly. When you turn on the high the low also stays on but obviously not vice versa
post #3 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 06:43 AM
TedEbear

On a similar note, I have heard the reason they are designed that way is for safety. Supposedly, some engineers decided that a motorcycle with two headlights on at the same time at night on a dark road could be perceived by a driver sitting at a cross street as another car much further away than it actually is and pull out in front of the bike.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 04:33 PM
highside101
L'Poser

Garage
I thought it was because the factory wanted other people to tell you that you had a light burned out? Constantly. Every fricking day.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The statements made by Highside in this forum are for entertainment purposes only. Highside neither agrees with - or disagrees with - the statements made by Highside. Highside is not a motorcycle expert, Highside is a poser. Follow the advice of Highside at your own risk. Taking the advice of Highside does not infer the potential for libel on the part of Highside.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 10:12 PM
jimbo7

FYI, if your bike wont start, see if the headlight is on when ignition is turned on. If not, it's probably a blown fuse. It seems that they wired it to not start if you have no lights.

2008 CBR1000RR
post #6 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Agronomist

Is there a way I can wire them to both run lows when I want low and when I switch to high beans they will both go to high beams?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 AM
highside101
L'Poser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist View Post
Is there a way I can wire them to both run lows when I want low and when I switch to high beans they will both go to high beams?
Just to let you know, the high beam side has different reflectors built in, the bulbs are the same neither has two elements they are single filament 55W bulbs. No way to get the high beam to look like a low beam.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The statements made by Highside in this forum are for entertainment purposes only. Highside neither agrees with - or disagrees with - the statements made by Highside. Highside is not a motorcycle expert, Highside is a poser. Follow the advice of Highside at your own risk. Taking the advice of Highside does not infer the potential for libel on the part of Highside.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 AM
highside101
L'Poser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo7 View Post
FYI, if your bike wont start, see if the headlight is on when ignition is turned on. If not, it's probably a blown fuse. It seems that they wired it to not start if you have no lights.
Doesn't work with the 2017+. The headlights on mine don't come on till the engine starts.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 06:35 AM
TedEbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist View Post
People have done mods in the past where they had a resistor, an extra relay and maybe a few other things going to the high beam side. The idea was it reduced the high beam intensity when it was on low beam mode and full power when on high. The result was dual lights on low and normal high beam on high.

I used to have a link to the mod, I believe it was on the 600RR forum. You can probably find it easily enough via a Google search.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 02:55 PM
johnkennell

Dual headlights on

Understand the wonderful comments about your bulbs being out. Uhhh, sorry it's a Honda

Anyways I'm right now changing my 07 over to dual projector beam headlights, HID. There is for sure some work in doing it but hopefully it will all be worth the time. I also plan to install a second fan on the radiator since before 08 you only get one and it does run hot, figure a lot of this has to do with my riding. Love hearing a Lambo run his engine up. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page