15 minute PAIR mod with pics! - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 88 Old 02-18-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
SquireSCA

15 minute PAIR mod with pics!

It took me 15 minutes, but 5 of that was trying to get the damned tank cover back on, because the rubber gasket around the gas cap opening snags on the plastic tabs. The best way to do it is to spray a couple drops of WD40 on your fingertip, and then run your finger all along the edge of the gasket and it will slide right on.

Basically, take off the seat and plastic tank cover. On the right hand side, up near the steering damper, pull down the rubber skirting and there is the hose. Unplug it, and find a medium sized marble. I think I had a 1/2" or so marble that was a perfect fit. You could also use a ball bearing. Use something spherical, rather than a plug made of a cut piece of round bar stock. The marble is much easier to remove if you ever need to. A drop of oil and you can squeeze the marble out because of the round surface. A plug that is cylinder shaped is much harder to remove, trust me!

So insert a marble or ball bearing that barely fits and might require a drop of oil to get it in. That will make a perfect seal. Push it down in about 1 inch, and reattach the hose to the airbox and put the seat and tank cover back on.

It really is that simple. That blocks the vacuum hose and completely disables the PAIR system, without having to remove the whole gas tank and airbox, without removing the system itself and having to block off the hole in the airbox, etc... This will greatly reduce the burbling and crackling and occcasional backfire when you go from WOT to closed throttle and let the motor slow you down. It stops the system from injecting air into the exhaust system, which is where the noise comes from as spent gases burn in the exhaust. This stops that. It also makes dyno tuning faster and easier because you normally have to disable the PAIR system so that the dyno does not read that extra air and think your bike is running lean! So you do it once here in 15 minutes and then forget about it.

Just like the golf tee in the flapper vacuum hose, it disables the system but is completely reversible in minutes if you needed to return it to stock form.

Anyway, here is the little slide show with instructions. Feel free to share it or download the pics to keep them.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...&gid=15288172&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
04doubleR

That looks pretty damn easy. Is this as effective as the other pair mod? I don't remember if the other pair mod removed it.
post #3 of 88 Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 AM
CarbonKings

Interesting

post #4 of 88 Old 02-18-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
SquireSCA

It's as effective, but cheaper, faster and a lot less work.
post #5 of 88 Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
spoolin7

i just went out and did this last night. took no time and should work just the same. i'm not concerned about weight loss

'08 1000rr candy red, custom undertail, flapper mod, reverse shift, z-bomb, Arrow carbon slip-on, 6000K HID kit.
'08 1000rr pearl white for the wife; custom undertail, flapper mod, crg levers, taylormade exhaust, 6000K HID kit.

www.louisville-sportbikes.com

www.louisvilleriders.com

www.sportbikefunnies.com
post #6 of 88 Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Sensei
Faster then your 1KRR

That's cool. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuscit8u View Post
Put it in each of their butts. If they come back, it was meant to be. If not- hey, you put it in their butts, so it is still all good.
post #7 of 88 Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
joeynational
THE BAD GUY!

That will work for the cracking,but you still have all that mess in there.Good job though!
post #8 of 88 Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Big Will

Did this mod tonight, if your fingers are small enough you can get that tube off, pluged, and back on just removing the tank inserts!
Then its the 5-7 min pair mod!!

It's not funny, but it's funny

17 CBR1Krr "Madame"
15 600rr "Side chick"
10 CBR1Krr "Mistress" race bike
08 Limited 1KRR (Gone wrecked by Dealer)
08 Red 1KRR (Red IS faster!)
post #9 of 88 Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Probuzz
Bark like a Dog

i removed one of the little index tabs for the gas tank cover/seal area and it speeds things up nicely and the seal still stays where it should,no more putting the shelter on with a feeler guage to clear the last seal tab.
post #10 of 88 Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
rockvoanjd
ummm tastes like chicken

i did it when i first got the bike, there were hoses, clamps bolts all over the ground, my girlfriend thought i broke the bike already, had to give her the old school line, (((i just removed the restricter plates.... added about a hundered horses to the beast)))

i pity the fool who drinks miller light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in