New bike/ couple issues - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 13 Old 06-09-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

New bike/ couple issues

After a long road trip to pick up the new bike (16hr round trip) Iíve found a couple of issues. The tail light seems like thereís a lot of movement to it, but maybe thatís normal? I took the seat off to see if there was anything to see, and noticed the rear tail was cracked in the front where the two bolts are. They look to have been over torqued. Would the dealer have even messed with those bolts, or would those have last been touched at the factory? Lastly, it looks like Iím missing the tool kit, and bike came with a complimentary scratch on the side of the plastic fuel tank cover. The bike is a leftover Ď17. They said, they just recently got these bikes and have been in the crate, so I doubt too many people have been messing with the bike. Also, the bike had less than a mile when I took delivery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-09-2019, 11:14 PM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

The toolkit is just an allen wrench and a fuse puller.
You should also get an owners manual in the plastic bag.

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

SP2 Delivery Thread < - Delivery Thread

RC45's SP2 Trackday Bike Build Thread <- Build Thread

RC45's US vs UK ETV Tables Dyno <- Dyno Page

PAIR Mod HRC Style <- HRC PAIR Page

Myths & Mysteries of the SP2 ECU Thread <- ECU Thread
post #3 of 13 Old 06-09-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
The toolkit is just an allen wrench and a fuse puller.
You should also get an owners manual in the plastic bag.
I hear you (manual was there), more worried about the cracked plastics on a bike with a grand total of 14 miles at the moment and why theyíre like that. My Ď08 600RR was rock solid. Iíve dealt with enough bikes with ďpersonality & quirksĒ at the trade off of reliability or headaches. I bought this because I wanted a sewing machine smooth I-4 with Honda build quality.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 12:23 AM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
I hear you (manual was there), more worried about the cracked plastics on a bike with a grand total of 14 miles at the moment and why they’re like that. My ‘08 600RR was rock solid. I’ve dealt with enough bikes with “personality & quirks” at the trade off of reliability or headaches. I bought this because I wanted a sewing machine smooth I-4 with Honda build quality.
The bodywork on my 2017 was a little flimsy but not that bad. I suspect they had your bike apart to try some aftermarket accessories. The 2017 bodywork seems to get looser the more it is removed - but should NOT be that loose out of the box.

Contact Honda directly if the selling dealer gives you the run around.

*edit* added the missing NOT

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

SP2 Delivery Thread < - Delivery Thread

RC45's SP2 Trackday Bike Build Thread <- Build Thread

RC45's US vs UK ETV Tables Dyno <- Dyno Page

PAIR Mod HRC Style <- HRC PAIR Page

Myths & Mysteries of the SP2 ECU Thread <- ECU Thread

Last edited by RC45; 06-10-2019 at 02:23 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 AM
BIGJ

My week old ‘19 with 1 mile is rock solid on the tail. No cracks. Looks like it got hit/ or severely over torqued fasteners.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

As far as the dealer taking the tail off, thereís not a lot of reasons they would need to do that, other than the few that have been stated. Iíd think if the bike had been hit, etc. there would be some more telltale signs of damage to the bike overall, and Iím not seeing them. To me, it seems like over torqued bolts from a shoddy tech, but you donít have to turn too many wrenches to know plastic canít withstand a lot... Still not a lot of logical explanations the dealer would have even needed to touch those bolts. I donít have anything to directly compare it against either, but it sounds like my light housing is on the looser side as well. Interesting... It sounds like this is turning into a scenario of the cheap man pays twice.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 AM
motorcycle01

New bike/ couple issues

On my 2012 tail light, there is movement when you move it vertically. My oem did that then I replaced it with integrated and that also feels the same. The movement is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 AM
bonjo

the cracked plactic means either over torqued or re-assembled with spacers, washers or some parts missing!
surely you can take it back to the dealer to rectify.

Could a tail tidy removal and the OEM re-install cause this?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

I slept on it then had an aha moment this morning. To put the battery in after it had been charged. Iím sure the guy didnít know what he was doing, and started removing unnecessary bolts as well only to over tighten them at the end. No, not driving 16 hrs to get it fixed. Iíll phone up Honda this morning and see what they suggest.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 AM
HRCfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
I slept on it then had an aha moment this morning. To put the battery in after it had been charged. Iím sure the guy didnít know what he was doing, and started removing unnecessary bolts as well only to over tighten them at the end. No, not driving 16 hrs to get it fixed. Iíll phone up Honda this morning and see what they suggest.

Wow that is a long way to pick up a bike. You are 8 hours from the closest Honda dealer?

I also find it odd that so many people are picking up bikes with 1 or 2 miles on their bikes. Techs should put at least 5 miles on during the pmi. The bike wonít even come up to temp in a mile or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page