New CBR sounds like a rattle can... - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net
post #1 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

New CBR sounds like a rattle can...

Discovered a new issue yesterday. I think I might have around 85 miles on the bike, but it sounds pretty horrible under load at 3-4000 rpm. It makes a horrible rattle/clattering noise. Iíve looked it up, and it looks like other people are experiencing it too, but couldnít find a ton of information on it, particularly on here. Anyone else's bike sound like that, or is it only US mapping causing a lean condition?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...s-fixed-solved

Around the 2:30 mark you can hear it in the video (not near as bad as what Iím experiencing, but same sound)

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000r...inging-158009/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

Again, any dyno run of a 2017+ CBR1000RR without the front wheel speed sensor disabled via ECU flash is a pointless exercise - why do these fuggen magazines continue doing this shit?

If the front wheel speed sensor is not software disabled any data gathered from the dynorun is crap, including any rattles or pings or blips or bops.

All I could hear was the O2 wand rattling in the end can.

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

SP2 Delivery Thread < - Delivery Thread

RC45's SP2 Trackday Bike Build Thread <- Build Thread

RC45's US vs UK ETV Tables Dyno <- Dyno Page

PAIR Mod HRC Style <- HRC PAIR Page

Myths & Mysteries of the SP2 ECU Thread <- ECU Thread
post #3 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Again, any dyno run of a 2017+ CBR1000RR without the front wheel speed sensor disabled via ECU flash is a pointless exercise - why do these fuggen magazines continue doing this shit?

If the front wheel speed sensor is not software disabled any data gathered from the dynorun is crap, including any rattles or pings or blips or bops.

All I could hear was the O2 wand rattling in the end can.
I’m not on a dyno, and the sound is much worse and all sensors should be fully functional. If it’s not on your bike, consider yourself lucky. I’m trying to figure out if it’s a prevalent problem, if there’s a fix, etc. The video was there to reference the sound I’m experiencing at around the 2:33-2:34 mark. What I describe as a rattle, might be what you call clatter, etc., so a video with the actual sound doesn’t hurt. I put an old GoPro on a helmet and rode around a bit a minute ago. Waiting for that video to upload to see if it captured the sound. If so, I’ll upload it here.
post #4 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

I understand your bike was not on the dyno, but what I am sayign is that any reference to 2-17+ CBR behavior on a dyno is moot if the ECU has not been flashed to disable the front wheel speed sensor as the ECU will at certain points pull timing and or shut the motor down. That is why I simply ignore all incorrectly conducted dyno runs.

As for your bike, how good is the fuel you buy? Knock is a by product of fuel quality and there is no point for a manufacturer to sell a vehicle in the US that is not designed to operate with the fuel as sold.

Now you may not get ultimate performance out of the vehicle with over the counter fuels and stock tuning, but you are not going to have self destructive knock/ping without significant liability on the manufacturer.

The only way to determine if a vehicle is actually lean under load, is to conduct AFR logging - anything else is just a guess.

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

post #5 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

Looks like weíre both in Houston too, youíre free to ride it to hear it in person. I thought maybe the dealer put some cheap 87 octane gas in it, so I filled it back up with Shell 93. Problem is still there.
Video of my bike.
post #6 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:45 PM
BIGJ

I’m not an expert at anything, it sounds either like ping or a short shift. My opinion only, again not an expert on anything.
post #7 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 01:41 PM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

You drove 6 hours out of Houston to pick up a new 2017? I think 3 or for Houston Honda dealers have left over 17 and 18s on the floor. Hopefully one of the local Honda dealers is working with you to resolve the other issues.

The correct way to determine lean position will be to log the AFR of a couple rides to tell for sure - other wise we are just guessing.

I am looking through the service manual and the parts list and I am not seeign a knock sensor for the 2017+ bikes... am I missing something here??? I hope I can just not find the part number.

If we don't have a knock sensor, then how is Honda hoping to prevent the bikes from self destructing?

post #8 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Maximus7
Lifetime Premium

OP, the rattle might also be cam chain tensioner. Not sure if this was already mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
The Habernatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
You drove 6 hours out of Houston to pick up a new 2017? I think 3 or for Houston Honda dealers have left over 17 and 18s on the floor. Hopefully one of the local Honda dealers is working with you to resolve the other issues.

The correct way to determine lean position will be to log the AFR of a couple rides to tell for sure - other wise we are just guessing.

I am looking through the service manual and the parts list and I am not seeign a knock sensor for the 2017+ bikes... am I missing something here??? I hope I can just not find the part number.

If we don't have a knock sensor, then how is Honda hoping to prevent the bikes from self destructing?
It took a solid 8hrs to pick the bike up, it was a little over 1000 miles round trip. I tried buying from several local dealers (Wild West, Team Mancuso, Stubbs, Woods Fun Center in Austin) Mind you it was a couple weeks ago, and it looks like they have more inventory now. However, no local dealer would match the price or come within shooting distance of it. I’ve owned more than my fair share of bikes, most purchased new and local but a few have come from out of state. I’ve bought an Aprilia Tuono V4 from Maryland, a BMW GSA from Chicago, and my last CBR from Oklahoma. The Tuono came delivered from UPS. I thought that was pretty good.

I emailed the purchasing dealer about the cracked tail fairing, called Honda Powersports North America, and took the bike to a local Honda dealership here. The rep with Honda was worthless to be honest. He said there was nothing he could do, and all claims have to originate at the dealer level. The purchasing dealer said the GM was of course not there, and they would need to talk to the regional rep. The local dealer said he would call me later that day with an update, but that never happened.

The engine noise didn’t start until yesterday evening, got progressively worse, and made me think it’s only a matter of time before it grenades itself. Could be wrong, but it doesn’t sound good. If you have a good dealer/ service guy that you use please let me know here or through pm and I will take it to them and let them go through the bike.
post #10 of 22 Unread 06-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Cdseven

I have the same noise if I lug the engine. In your second video if I accelerated in second from that turn I get that noise. If I keep the RPMs up I never have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in