Anyone else ever have a frame slider/engine bolt snap? - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 6 Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

Anyone else ever have a frame slider/engine bolt snap?

The left side frame slider bolt that threads into the engine on my 2015 seems to have randomly snapped off on my ride to work. Slider and most of the bolt are gone, threaded part of the bolt is still in the engine. I've been riding 12yrs and never seen this happen even as a service writer. Pretty annoying, chances are good I'll end up pulling the engine to get the dang thing out. Anyone else ever see this happen? No tip over, no crash. Just broke off on its own.

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 88K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- Flapper mod, 08-11 gauge swap, hotbodies fender eliminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Liquid_IQ

I seen it happen under rare circumstances (other models of motorcycle) from a crash, but never spontaneously. Maybe a defective bolt, and enough vibration and heat cycles under tension caused it to fail.

Good thing it didn't happen in a crash, would have been useless.

Is there no way to drill and use an easy-out on that bolt? Just getting the fairings off is a PITA, can't imagine pulling the engine.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-30-2019, 12:31 PM
capt.america
Super Moderator

5 pack of Craftman easy outs are $10.00 at Lowes.
Drill the necessary pilot hole and back the screw out.

ps..... If the bolt is thru the frame and into the motor you won't be able to get the motor out anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 885911591317.jpg (60.0 KB, 1 views)

If you can't run with the big dogs,
stay on the [email protected]' porch.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.america View Post
ps..... If the bolt is thru the frame and into the motor you won't be able to get the motor out anyway.
Huh....hadn't thought about that haha. But it looks like it snapped right where the frame and engine meet. Also looks like the engine mount hole is slightly
off from the frame hole making backing the bolt out much harder. Of course I'll try first, but like I said I see it going badly because thats how my luck usually goes. This did happen about 3 weeks after reinstalling the bolt after pulling the fairings for my gauge swap. Wonder if the couple remove/installs are what did it. Shouldn't be, but then again this shouldn't have happened either.

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 88K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- Flapper mod, 08-11 gauge swap, hotbodies fender eliminator
post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM
TedEbear

A floor jack might help in getting the engine hole and frame hole lined back up to use the easy out.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 05:30 AM
peterj59
Lifetime Premium

you probably didnt have the frame hole and engine hole aligned when you torqued it down causing the bolt to shear, use a floor jack and be careful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page