How often do you ride your motorcycle? Miles per year? - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Desibaba

How often do you ride your motorcycle? Miles per year?

Also how long have you been riding and so far how many times have you crashed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-07-2019, 04:23 AM
09_Blade

Started riding on a brand new CBR500R that was sadly totalled by a texting driver at 7500 miles. Got a used CBR600RR to practice that I put 2000 miles on before upgrading to a '09 CBR1000RR with only 4000 miles. I bought it from an older gentleman who didn't ride much.

I put 18,000 miles on it in the year that I've owned it. Since my first wreck, I ride very conservatively. The only time I almost crashed was getting caught in a flash flood and trying to get through a foot of water under an overpass.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-07-2019, 09:05 AM
TedEbear

I started legally riding on the roads over 45 years ago. I had a couple of crashes from slippery pavement but nothing serious. None on my current '08 1000RR.

As far as how many miles per year, it varies greatly. I've gone from a span of not owning a bike for over 20 years to sometimes riding one 6-7k miles per year. Even with my current 1k RR, I've gone through a period of 18 months where I just didn't feel like riding and it sat in the basement on a trickle charger all that time.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 09:29 AM
icrashbikes

I've been riding 15 years. When I started I averaged about 10k miles per year but having a business and a family has got me down to about 1k/year lately. I've been down 7 times, all mild to moderate incidents.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

Been riding 39 years, 33 of those years as a licensed operator, 13 as a test rider and/or instructor.. For about 10 years of my life I did not even have an automobile just a garage full of motorcycles and I rode sun, rain or snow. I stopped counting at over 300,000 street miles and I have absolutely no idea how many track laps I have turned. Best guess would likely be between 80-100K miles on closed courses although I don't get any where near the track time nowadays that I did in my prime. Similarly I rarely ride on the street and if I do it is purely for commuting purposes. I do not ride for recreation on public roads.

To the best of my recollection I have crashed 6 times on the street which may have ranged from dropping the bike while slipping in slick fluids on the road to barreling through a barb wire fence at the speed of heat.

My track crashes are more numerous, but considering the amount of track time I was getting and the idea that test riding is in many cases about pushing the limits of the machine or performance parts installed or even just Track Instructing in general I would say my track crashes were nominal compared to street crashes.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Desibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Been riding 39 years, 33 of those years as a licensed operator, 13 as a test rider and/or instructor.. For about 10 years of my life I did not even have an automobile just a garage full of motorcycles and I rode sun, rain or snow. I stopped counting at over 300,000 street miles and I have absolutely no idea how many track laps I have turned. Best guess would likely be between 80-100K miles on closed courses although I don't get any where near the track time nowadays that I did in my prime. Similarly I rarely ride on the street and if I do it is purely for commuting purposes. I do not ride for recreation on public roads.

To the best of my recollection I have crashed 6 times on the street which may have ranged from dropping the bike while slipping in slick fluids on the road to barreling through a barb wire fence at the speed of heat.

My track crashes are more numerous, but considering the amount of track time I was getting and the idea that test riding is in many cases about pushing the limits of the machine or performance parts installed or even just Track Instructing in general I would say my track crashes were nominal compared to street crashes.
So you never incurred any injuries that left you with life long ailments?
post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 05:50 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

Cumulative yes, I have a body that feels 20 years older than I actually am. I have been bruised, sprained and torn to the limit and beyond on many of my extremities and even in places you probably didn't know you could bruise, sprain or tear... I have quite a few ligaments in my body that are simply no longer holding onto anything and it makes a lot of movements difficult and even impossible in some cases. Every crash takes a toll on you physiologically. At the same time I have been very fortunate to have never broken a bone and have only been concussed once at least in regards to riding a sportbike. I contribute some of that to ALWAYS wearing good gear and the rest to pure luck.

Horses and 4-wheelers would be an entirely different story...
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Paraquat

I am 36 now. Been riding since 15.
5 downs.
First was dirt pit MX on loose sand. I was pinned under the bike and because I was 15 and in Florida and didn't know any better I was wearing shorts. The exhaust slow cooked my thigh until spectators could pull the bike off me.
Next was a rookie two up, sandy road, low speed u turn.
Next was middle of the night, I made an evasive maneuver because I saw a pair of eyes reflecting in the road. I hit wet grass and slid. Felt bad for that guys lawn but I drove away.
The next was fresh after a rebuild and I hadn't noticed the rear tire had oil on it and I ripped out of my driveway onto the road and just slid.
My latest was a 40 MPH turn while riding down the PCH while on my cruiser. I have a pic but after going cross country I managed to wear through one radial belt. Fibers were showing through on the second ply. I came around some restaurant and they had a dirt driveway. Everyone pulling in and out coated that turn with loose dirt. The combination of everything did me in. Coming into the turn too hot, bad tire, loose dirt.

Never been down on the CBR (knock on wood).

I put between 8 and 15k a year on between the two bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page