Why do I need to do my break in oil change at 300 miles for my 18 cbr1krr? - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Desibaba

Why do I need to do my break in oil change at 300 miles for my 18 cbr1krr?

With almost all other bikes its at 600 miles. Why do I need to do it at 300 miles on the 2018 CBR1kRR unless I am reading it wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 PM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

I would have done it at 50 miles personally. You would be appalled at all the crap floating around in a brand new engine.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM
motorcycle01

Why do I need to do my break in oil change at 300 miles for my 18 cbr1krr?

Yes change after first small ride then do a proper break in and change at 600m.

How are you breaking it in? Riding like a cruiser or hard break in by taking it to closer to red line in each gear? (If possible while being safe and abiding all laws)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Desibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle01 View Post
Yes change after first small ride then do a proper break in and change at 600m.

How are you breaking it in? Riding like a cruiser or hard break in by taking it to closer to red line in each gear? (If possible while being safe and abiding all laws)

Riding it like a grandma but I avoid staying at any one RPM or Speed for any extended period of time.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 PM
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan66 View Post
I would have done it at 50 miles personally. You would be appalled at all the crap floating around in a brand new engine.
I rode mine home from the dealership and changed it. WhereTF does all that come from, its hard to believe that much crap isnt scoring everything all to hell. Then I changed it again at 350-400 or so. I guess it depends on if you plan on keeping it forever and what the cost of oil is worth to you in the long run.

I also put in a fancy plug with a magnet. I ordered two, a titanium one and a common brand name(gold plug or something) the magnet was stronger on the gold one so I went with that even though it was heavier(I know if SaratogaLED reads this he'll cringe at that). Every oil change I remain happy I got the magnet one.

2015 CBR1000RR YR-250
1999 ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson
1984 Goldwing Aspencade (WIP bought after a light deer smashing)
1983 LTD550 (WIP cafe project for friends to ride)
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 07:30 PM
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
I rode mine home from the dealership and changed it. WhereTF does all that come from, its hard to believe that much crap isnt scoring everything all to hell. Then I changed it again at 350-400 or so. I guess it depends on if you plan on keeping it forever and what the cost of oil is worth to you in the long run.

I also put in a fancy plug with a magnet. I ordered two, a titanium one and a common brand name(gold plug or something) the magnet was stronger on the gold one so I went with that even though it was heavier(I know if SaratogaLED reads this he'll cringe at that). Every oil change I remain happy I got the magnet one.
The oil in the sump comes from the engine. The oil coming from the sump goes threw the filter before going threw the engine. So that's how its not traveling around hurting things. But the magnetic plug is never a bad thing, heavier or not

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 88K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- Flapper mod, 08-11 gauge swap, hotbodies fender eliminator
post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 07:52 PM
motorcycle01

I changed after coming from dealer and broke it in hard, each gear up to red line and engine braking for few hundred Kms. I have 15,000kms on it and not eating oil or anything like that. Using Honda synthetic 10w30 oil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in